No way out

Suria wondered how many more memory episodes or disturbing dreams were yet to surface amongst the group. They seemed to be increasing in frequency. It had to mean something. She was momentarily distracted as she pondered this by the wide expansive view of the valley in front of her and the path that would take them to Versena someday soon. She tuned back into the group conversation after being lost in thought for a few moments.

Rocsi was speaking. "... but Arias has a point. Why do we want to remember? We have such a nice life here. What if we get our memories back and they are all bad? What if we got here only because we were rescued from bad situations, all of us?" Rocsi was somewhat concerned.

"I agree Rocsi. We have a good life here. Our families know where we are, the message said." Prina's tone was pragmatic, but hopeful.

Bia was next to talk. "It may be temporary, though. We have to face the fact that one day we will know, and..."

A loud clap of thunder struck right behind them, cutting Bia off in mid-sentence. It was the first time Suria had heard thunder since she'd woken up thirteen days ago. It was coming from somewhere behind the summit of the mountain they'd partially climbed.

They all looked up at the sky. Dark clouds were gathering from beyond the mountain peak above them. "It's not raining yet, but it will be soon. We have coats. Good thing I tell us to pack, yes?" Rivo had insisted they all bring wet weather gear and was grinning broadly that his foresight had paid off.

Suria paused for a moment and took in the view once more. A breeze had sprung up from the lower parts of the valley and was gently blowing in their faces. It was quite refreshing. The thick green forest below almost obscured their village, but not quite. She felt warmth when she thought of their village. It really was their village – the message had said so. Perhaps Arias was right: why did they want to know? Couldn't they just assume they'd always lived here and be happy with that? Suria knew this was not practical, not for all of them anyway, probably not even her. She indulged in the thought anyway. The rain started to fall lightly, threatening to increase as it did so.

Rais spoke up. "We should get going. We don't know how long rain go for. We start soon, maybe we miss some of it," remarked Rais.

"I agree Rais," said Rivo, putting his coat on, prompting Suria to retrieve hers from her pack. The rain got heavier.

"We go, come on!" Rais' words got everyone up and moving. The rain had softened the landscape somewhat. The grass lay a bit lower and the leaves of the trees in the forest hung down more with the weight of the water droplets on them. As if the scene couldn't get any prettier, it suddenly did.

On the way back down to the village, Suria had an interesting conversation with Le and Rais. The subject of the lightning strike came up in the conversation, and Rais had a curious view of it.

"I wonder if lightning a sign for us," he said.

A momentary pause before Le responded. "We make too much question, Rais?"

"Yes, I think too much question. Message tell us not worry about memory, we keep asking. I know it interest for you Suria. I understand."

Suria nodded thoughtfully. "I still believe we will get to the bottom of our amnesia, but then, how do we know when or how? I mean, we were told we would find out at some point, but there was a subtle message within that. There I go again."

"What you mean Suria?" Le was looking at her quizzically.

"I mean, that I am overthinking it again. Something I am prone to doing."

"No, I mean your word 'subtle'."

"Oh. I was wondering if it's going to take a while before we get our memories back. Like weeks or months or something. Why, I don't know. The message is stalling for some reason."