18 | Setting Day

Charlotte had settled into such a rhythm over the winter months that she was almost surprised to see spring sneak up. Instead of the usual winter dread spent longing for summer days, she had found herself in a comfortable routine of working on her little apothecary business and testing out her magical powers. She treated her magic practice with the same discipline she had once used with her yoga practice. Just like with yoga, she found that the more she practiced, the stronger she got and the less recovery time she required. She was also learning new ways to use her magic in her compounds to help with a variety of ailments. She had a nice little flow of business going through the market thanks to Sarah and, at her suggestion, had also started looking into branching out to some of the summer farmer markets for the coming season. The summer seemed a lot closer now that the sun was out and the warmer temperatures had melted the snow. Winter almost seemed like a far-off memory as the harbour came out of hibernation. The little harbour had been busy for weeks; boats were being inspected and basic maintenance performed before being put into the water. Traps were being repaired and stacked into impossible piles on the boats, roped down, and buoys attached. The entire village seemed to have been even more invested in the weather than usual. They anxiously waited for approval from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to go ahead with the setting day. Which, much to local amusement, matched Old Man Murray's weather stick prediction perfectly.

After some bad weather delays, the day had finally come; Charlotte and Sarah joined what seemed like most of the village before sunrise to see the fishing boats out. Charlotte had woken hours before in excitement. She had gotten to know quite a few of the fishermen going out. The life of a fisherman wasn't easy to work, and it took its toll on the body, either through Sarah or their wives or just having heard through the village grapevine. A number of them had started to use her sore muscle salve. She was excited to be part of the day and the community that was there to support their fishermen heading out for the start of the season.

She had spent some time in her apothecary in the wee hours of the morning, making a warming bone broth for one fisherman in particular, Riley. They hadn't had many encounters since the storm, seeing each other in passing as they went about their winter endeavours. But when they did, they stopped to chat, and Charlotte learned that he, too, had two girls who lived away. They shared stories about the girls and she could tell that he was a loving father. She also picked up on the guilt he carried for not being a bigger presence in their lives. She was beginning to see that Riley Keane was far more than the grumbly fisherman she first thought him to be. She wanted to do something special for him, to thank him for his help the night of the storm. At least, that's what she told herself when, in reality, she hadn't been able to stop thinking about him. Having seen him out working on his boat, the "Keane's Crest," the last few weeks had sparked something she hadn't felt in a long time.

Charlotte had met up with Sarah at the Harbour Haven Market before the crowd got started to help prepare hot coffee for the fishermen and onlookers. "I'm going to head out for a few if you're all set up here and deliver this thermos," Charlotte informed Sarah, hoping to be able to leave without chiding.

"And whom would this thermos be for?" Sarah asked with her usual grin. I don't think I haven't noticed you giving a certain redhead the once-over."

"Mind your business, Sarah." Charlotte teased back and headed out the door, setting the bells off.

The way down to the boats was lit by a full moon, still hanging heavy in the sky, as well as the marine lamp posts. It was early enough that the wharf was fairly quiet still, the captains of the boats busy doing a once over, and the majority of crews still back at home, likely scarfing down their last bites of breakfast. Charlotte made her way over to Riley's boat and found him on board, securing the ropes holding down the massive piles of traps. "Looks like you're in for a chilly day," Charlotte called out.

"I'll take it. We've lost four days waiting for the weather to turn already." Riley said in his signature grumble, looking up to find Charlotte standing there, a little hesitant, clutching a green thermos. "Shit, sorry, didn't realize it was you standing there, Charlotte." He hoisted himself up onto the dock and placed his already chilled hands into his waiter's front bib. In an attempt to put her at ease, he uncharacteristically tried to tease. "What do you have there in the thermos? It wouldn't happen to be some of Sarah's liquid gold, would it?"

"Oh no, sorry to disappoint–" She genuinely was sorry; why hadn't she thought of that? "But what I do have, I promise, will keep you warm through the whole day."

"It's not some of that weird fancy tea of yours, is it? I know people swear by the stuff, but I'm not really a tea kind of guy."

As if to make his point, she watched him run his hand over his beard, which she hated to admit stirred something in her. What was wrong with her? "No, it isn't; I couldn't picture you drinking tea on the boat either." She smiled back at him. "It's a bone broth. I promise you will love it. It's better than Sarah's liquid gold, but don't tell her." She handed the thermos over, hoping he didn't think she was crazy for bringing it. He surely would if he knew that she had been up at 3 am using her magical abilities to infuse it with a warming quality that would keep his body temperature constant all day and even help provide lasting energy on what looked like a long, cold, hard day getting the traps set.

Riley took the thermos from her, his rough hand briefly brushing her soft one. He felt a tingle shoot through his body charged by static electricity and swore he could have felt the wind pick up suddenly, blowing her curls out of their ribbon. He was taken kind of aback by her generosity, that she took the time to make him something just to make his day easier. It had been a long, long time since someone had cared to go out of their way for him. He felt that familiar voice rise in his head telling him he wasn't deserving of it; heck, he had been downright cold to her at times. "You really shouldn't have."

"I wanted to, really I did, plus I owe you." She tried to busy herself by tucking her stray curls behind her ears, not sure what to say. Thankfully, the awkward silence was interrupted by a loud bellow from one of his crew members coming down the dock.

"Red, save your sweet talk for later. We have traps to set," Scotty called out while tipping his baseball cap to Charlotte in a rather flirtatious manner. But that was Scotty, a big, harmless flirt who was not surprisingly single.

Riley quickly reverted back to his grumbly self, firing a few swear words back at Scotty. Then he turned back to Charlotte, "Thank you for this–" and gave her his best smile while simultaneously shooting icy glares at Scotty. "I'll be sure to let you know how it compares to Sarah's."

Charlotte smiled back and headed back to meet Sarah. The wharf was starting to fill up with people. Families hugging loved ones and sending them off. Kids were holding onto their mother's legs, trying to keep warm. There was an anxious excitement building in the air. Everyone was excited for their first scoff of lobster, hopeful for what the season would bring the fisherman and their families, and always a little wary of the ocean and its dangers. The boats were lined up and ready to head out into the channel, having been blessed by Father Callaghan. Sarah came up behind Charlotte and wrapped her arm around her. A cheer from the crowd went out, and the boats began to make their way. The sky was turning from dark to a golden hue as they watched the parade of boats piled high with traps head out into the rising sun. Charlotte hadn't felt this content since she was a child watching the sunrise from the beach with her little sister. She hugged Sarah back, embracing the memory of her sister instead of pushing it away, feeling at home as she took in the convoy.