Ocean of souls (chapter 4)

Lila and Adrien stared at each other, neither of them saying a word

Lila and Adrien stared at each other, neither of them saying a word. Lila's eyes moved around the room while she searched for the words to say what she wanted to say to him.

Noticing this, Adrien smiled.

"Lila," he asked.

Lila took a deep breath and sighed as she looked at Adrien. "...what are your plans for this afternoon?" she asked.

"This afternoon?" Adrien said. "I have my fencing class."

"Can I join you?"

"Of course!" Adrien said. "But, why...?"

A dark scowl came over Lila's face. "Marinette forged my handwriting on some stupid student council volunteer sheet," she said glumly. "And now I'm indentured to help out on a bunch of shit I didn't sign up for."

Adrien's eyes widened. "You can join me, Lila," he said. "I'll have my father tell Madame Bustier that you're there at his request. He'll be glad to help you out."

Gabriel Agreste, happy to help Lila out? She severely doubted that but she only put up a happy smile at Adrien.

"Thank you," she said. "I'll appreciate that."

"See you this afternoon!" Adrien said cheerily. Lila waved and left. Adrien closed his locker door before turning to slam the one next to him shut as well. Nino jumped back, his nose just an inch shy of being caught.

"What the Hell, dude!" Nino exclaimed.

Adrien leaned against the lockers. "Have you heard?" he asked casually. "Lila just got her time wasted by a piece of paper."

"What?" Nino said. "I have nothing to do with that."

"You sure?" Adrien asked.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Nino asserted. "You just – you...?"

Adrien tilted his head. "You alright, Nino?" he asked. "You're looking a bit unsteady there."

"Huh? Am I alright?" Nino demanded. "You're the one who almost slammed my locker door close on my face and now you're standing there, staring at me like you want me dead!"

Adrien frowned. "What do you mean?" he asked. "I didn't slam your locker door, you did."

"I –" Nino was flabbergasted. "What are you talking about, you were the one who slammed my locker door shut. Why – why would I...?"

"We were just talking," Adrien said earnestly. "And then, all of a sudden, you just slammed your door shut. It made such a loud noise, it surprised me! Hey, Nino." Adrien leaned in close to put a hand on Nino's arm, gazing sincerely into his eyes. "You have been a little tense lately. You know I'm here if you want to talk about anything, right?"

Nino was so confused. He was also completely sure that he wasn't the one to slam his locker door shut. But seeing an opportunity to capitalize on Adrien's sudden good will–