Chapter 15

Ryan approached Lisa, noticing her emotional reaction. "Do you need any help?" he asked gently.

Lisa composed herself and inquired, "Are there any other artworks by Ruby Jane?"

Ryan smiled. "Ruby Jane came to New York two years ago and learned from Master Sequoia Miller, so she doesn't have many artworks. There is only one in this exhibition."

Lisa looked at the piece with admiration. "She is Master Sequoia Miller's disciple?"

"Yes. Master Sequoia Miller likes the story behind Ruby Jane's artwork very much. This clay horse is a gift for her child," Ryan explained.

"It is a gift, but it makes people feel sad. This should be a belated gift," Lisa remarked, her voice tinged with emotion.

Ryan was surprised. "How do you know?"

Lisa smiled softly. "The artwork tells me that. An artwork can't touch people's hearts without a story. I have decided to buy this."

Ryan hesitated. "Unfortunately, all artworks need to be sold with a guarantee card that has the artist's signature. We just decided to exhibit this artwork yesterday, so the artist hasn't signed-"

"For me, this artwork is priceless. I don't plan to sell it. I don't mind buying it without a guarantee card," Lisa said firmly.

Ryan excused himself. "Then, please wait for a while."

Ryan dialed Jennie's number. In the car, Jennie and Jin were making their way back to the gallery.

"Hello, Ryan," Jennie answered.

"Hello, Ruby Jane. Congratulations, your artwork is sold."

Jennie was shocked. "That's impossible. How could it be sold so easily?" She glanced at Jin, who was driving. "Don't tell me you planned this."

Jin looked defensive. "Don't look at me; I didn't plan it."

Ryan chuckled. "Ruby Jane, what are you talking about? The buyer is just beside me. She said she was touched by the artwork. She knew it was a belated gift at first sight."

Jennie's curiosity was piqued. "Is the buyer beside you? Can I talk to her?"

"Okay, wait a minute," Ryan replied.

Ryan handed the phone to Lisa, who hesitated before taking it. "Hello?"

"Hello, nice to meet you," Jennie said warmly. Lisa paused, the voice familiar but elusive. Jennie continued, "I am glad that you like this artwork. Your support is very important to me. Can I thank you in person? We are stuck in a traffic jam. Can you wait for me?"

Lisa glanced at her watch. "I can only wait for five minutes."

"Thank you, see you," Jennie said happily before ending the call.

Jin noticed Jennie's excitement. "You seem really happy that your artwork sold so quickly."

Ryan approached Lisa. "I'll ask the staff to wrap it for you immediately. Come this way, please."

Lisa nodded and watched as the staff prepared to wrap the pieces she had bought. She kept glancing at her watch, waiting for Ruby Jane.

After paying, Lisa realized Jennie hadn't arrived. She turned to Ryan. "I'm sorry, I have a plane to catch."

Ryan nodded in understanding. "Of course."

Just as Lisa exited the gallery, Jennie burst through the doors, bumping into someone in her rush. She muttered a quick apology, not realizing Lisa was just walking on the other side, and hurried inside. Lisa entered her car and drove away.