What Happens In A Frosting War.Stays In A Frosting War!

I regret my last statement. Will I ever tell him that? No. The worst part was I hadn't tasted anything yet. He has been having me mix up different buttercreams. I don't have the heart to tell him to stop. Since we started making the cupcakes, he's been laughing and smiling.

"So when dealing with the buttercreams make it easier to remember.
American- the easier one to prepare and takes food dye well.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream- is the fluffier and less sweet of the bunch, but takes longer than American." I'm happy I grabbed a notepad early when we started this. "Then we have French buttercream- it's rich and creamy. It's also softer and works best for filling and cupcake toppers. Lastly, for the buttercreams, we have Italian Meringue - like the Swiss, but it is sturdier and better for piping and frosting." I was so happy he made the others earlier.

"Now that buttercreams are out of the way, what did I say about the others earlier?" He raised an eyebrow at me, staring his jade greens into my glacier grays. Oh, this is a trick question to see if I remember.

"Whipped cream frosting is cream and icing sugar. It's sweet, delicate, and can be tinted with pastel. Or were you referring to Cream Cheese Frosting? Which in that case it's basically American buttercream but with cream cheese? It's sweet but tangy. It goes well with carrot, and red velvet because of course it goes perfectly with them, but it also can go with lemon cakes." Oh, I was on a roll.

"Okay, but you're for-" He started.

"I'm forgetting Royal icing and Ganache? Ganache can be poured over cakes while still warm for that shiny glaze. That or it can be cooled for a spreadable frosting. Who doesn't know about royal icings? Perfect for cookie decorating, especially a gingerbread house. Since it hardens when it cools." Oh yeah, I'm on fire! I bet he didn't expect that. He stood there staring at me as I did my little victory dance. Till he grabbed some flour and threw it at my apron. "Hey!"

"Cool it. We haven't even made it to the hardest part. That would be decorating the cakes." He was right, and let's be honest, I sucked at decorating cakes. Everything starts to become a blob. A pretty blob with lots of sprinkles though. I don't think that would cut it here. I stepped closer to him.

"What? Are you trying to say I'm not good at frosting cupcakes?" he would be right. I put my hands on my hips, then I tilted my head back to look at him in the face.

"No," He looked down at me. "I'm saying you're awful at it." He poked the tip of my nose for added effect. Then he began laughing. It took me a minute to register he still had flour on his hands!

"You jerk!" I grabbed some pink frosting we mixed earlier. He jumped away from me as my fingers got close to his face. There was still a dot on his cheek. "Come on, it's only frosting," I taunted him. Eros circled the small kitchen avoiding my advances and jumping when I got too close. He eventually rounded the other side of the kitchen.

With almost lightning-fast reflexes, he snatched a piping bag off the counter. "Put the bowl down or I'll be forced to use this!" It was said with so much confidence, but all I saw was him waving it like a bad jousting sword. I was cackling. Slowly I put the bowl on the counter next to me. “ Good now step away from it.” He was still aiming the piping bag.  After I was a bit away he set it down.

“ Alright tell me what's the plan for all the cupcakes?” I asked inching towards him again.

“Tomorrow we'll frost them. Today was us just going over how to make everything.  We'll test some of the frosting flavors and see what pairs well. We can even invite Megan and Lucas as testers.” He winked. I don't know why that made me start smiling all over again. I got out my phone and shot her a text. Her Immediate reply was’ Be there in an hour’. As I looked up again, Eros was walking some of the stuff to the front. I picked up some mixing bowls and brought them over to the sink to rinse them off. I could hear Eros moving around behind me as I loaded the dishwasher.

I washed my hands and slowly inched back to the pink frosting. He was so engrossed in frosting and their colors. He never even heard me as I sneaked up behind him. My hand dragged across his cheek to his mouth. He pulled an uno reverse card on me though. He had me pinned to him as I struggled to push away his yellow frosting-covered hand.

“Oh come on, it's just a little frosting!” He laughed. I was nearly out of his grip till he swiped it across the side of my face.

“Truce! Truce!” I squealed when he went to smear more. He released me and held out his hand. I took it In agreement to stop the frosting war.

“Now hurry up, they'll be here soon,” He said, throwing a towel at me. I snatched out the air and tossed it in the hamper. Eros grabbed the eggs to put in the fridge, then the sugar and flour. I handled putting the flavorings back in their spots, while he moved to cleaning the counters. I walked over to the box propping the door open.

“Wait the candy's still out” Eros did a mini jog across half the kitchen to hand me them. Except he didn't hand me them, because he tripped. Ending with me going backward and him kicking the box for the door.

SLAM! The door that just closed locked us in. I didn't care about any of it. Why? When Eros fell and knocked me into the dark closet I realized three things instantly. One he dropped the bag to cradle my head from the fall. Two that I now had a warm sensation on my mouth that tastes like raspberries.  Three I swear I heard Eros whisper as he sat up ‘Hmm lemon’ in a confused tone.

"Are you alright?" He asked louder. I knew he couldn't see my red face, but I was still in shock. " Anastasia, please tell me you're alright. I don't know how to get help locked in here." Fear was creeping in his voice.

"I'm fine" my voice squeaked. I heard a sigh of relief from him.

"Did it hurt?" He asked. I felt him start petting my hair. What was he doing? Then it was my shoulder and neck.  OH! He's trying to make sure I'm not injured! I pushed away his hands.

"When I fell from heaven? no." I giggled. Giggled? I don't giggle! What the hell is happening? It seemed to work because now I hear Eros laughing. " Alright, now how do we get out of here?" I said searching the shelves for something to pry the door open.

"Oh no,  we're stuck here till someone opens the door." Don't act so casually when saying that!