Chapter 7 - Standing Back on Their Feet

The conversation with the Wakandans lasted for another hour, but by the end of it, Tony had finalized the details of Shuri's arrival and gained a new member for the New Avengers program—albeit a part-time member, but a member nonetheless.

With all plans in motion and everyone dealt with, Tony stood from his chair and stretched his limbs. He spoke to Friday, "Hold all my calls, baby girl. And prepare the lab to sanitize more Extremis 3.0."

"Of course, Boss. I will point out, though, that I can start the process right now, and it will be ready for you to work with by the morning." Tony snorted at the not-so-subtle hint of what Friday wanted him to do.

"Why, Fri, laying it on kind of thick tonight, aren't you?" Tony's voice was highly amused.

Tony could hear the shrug in Friday's voice. "I believe tonight will be the night I actually win the argument, Boss."

Tony raised an eyebrow at the closest camera. "And why is that, baby girl?"

A long moment of silence made Tony shrug and leave the room, heading toward his lab. Or at least that was the plan until he noticed Carol sitting on the couch in the living room, a tablet in hand and a frown on her face.

Tony thought he might manage to sneak into the elevator and down to the labs, but suddenly a static voice came from the speaker next to him. Carol obviously heard and saw him.

Friday is a sneaky girl, Tony decided. What he couldn't decide was whether he should punish or praise her for such a cunning plan.

Carol waved him to sit next to her.

Tony groaned inwardly but sat next to the blonde.

"So, how did the calls go?" Carol asked once she put the tablet down.

Tony leaned back on the sofa, his eyes going to the ceiling as he recounted, "I got Peter to tell his aunt the truth, and in return, I promised him constant training sessions with Laura. Which reminds me, where are she and the mini agents?"

Carol frowned at him. "On their floor. Friday took them there over two hours ago. It's past midnight, Tony."

"Oh." Tony shrugged, which for some reason caused Carol's frown to deepen. Tony decided to change the subject back. "So Pete will come to the tower tomorrow. I'm sure the kids will love to have someone closer to their age join in."

Carol's frown turned into a small smile.

Tony returned his gaze to the ceiling. "Well, then I talked to my old friend Hope. I promised to help her boyfriend, and in return, they both join the team. Not to mention I also need to talk with Pepper about merging our companies."

Carol cleared her throat, drawing Tony's eyes back to her. "Merging your companies? I was under the impression that your companies don't exactly get along."

Tony smirked at her. "Someone was talking with Nick. But anyway, with Lang's stunt, their company will soon have to liquidate, and many will lose their jobs. In the long term, the merger will get SI larger revenue while keeping a lot of people with jobs."

Carol nodded, but then her eyes softened, her lips forming a thin line as she asked gently, "How was the call with your cousin?"

Tony narrowed his eyes at Carol. Although he supposed it was Nick who gave her all the info, Carol probably took his narrow eyes as a challenge because she then added in an even gentler tone, "I know she helped Rogers during this whole Civil War thing, but still, she is your family. Nick said you are really close."

Tony let out a heavy breath while trying to keep his tone casual. "Yeah, but I can't really blame her. Aunt Peggy and Dad always went on about how great Rogers is. Me and Howard had a complicated relationship, but his rambles still affected me to the level I allowed Rogers to get away with far too much. But Sharon—she always admired Peggy, so she took her words to heart." Tony then shrugged. "Anyway, she apologized, promised to kill Rogers if she gets the opportunity—the whole routine. So we're good."