Chapter 10: Uninvited Guests

Tony turned toward the doors to see his girlfriend walking in with a soft smile on her face. She was wearing her casual clothes: a white shirt under a brown leather jacket and jeans.

She began walking toward him but was suddenly interrupted when Dum-E rolled toward her, beeping while holding a ball in his robotic arm.

With her smile growing ever so slightly, she stopped in place, rubbed his metal affectionately, and asked, "What's going on, buddy? Wanna play catch, do you?"

Tony couldn't stop the smile that curled on his lips. Carol was fascinated with his AIs since they met. She told him about the so-called 'Supreme Intelligence' AI that ruled over the race that kidnapped her and how she was brainwashed to believe in it.

Although Tony, Helen, Strange, and a trusted therapist used BARF to help her get through her trauma, she also said that there is a deep part of her that is happy to see that, just like people, not all AIs had to be selfish or sinister.

By this point, Carol had practically adopted all of his AIs as family, just like he always intended. Taking her example, the rest of the people in the tower did the same, which truly moved Tony. With the old Avengers, his AIs were at best treated as servants, but most of the time, they were treated with hostility, especially after the Ultron incident.

Carol took a particular shine to Friday and now looked at his baby girl as her own daughter as well.

Dum-E nodded his metal arm up and down with another burst of beeps. Carol chuckled, took the ball from his metallic hand, and threw it to the far end of the lab without using her power. Dum-E used his wheels to turn in place and rolled toward the ball.

Carol just shook her head, amused, as she kept approaching him.

She bent down and gave him a peck on the lips before taking a seat next to him. She looked down at the plans he had just finished reviewing before asking, "Busy as always, I see?"

Tony gave her his most charming smile before saying, "I always have time for the hottest woman in the solar system."

Carol snorted, but her eyes were bright with love and appreciation.

Their relationship had grown over the past year. By now, Carol was practically living with him in their room (formerly his). Tony had actually bought a ring just a week ago and was now waiting for the right time to pop the question.

Carol opened her mouth to say something, but Friday's voice beat her to it, "Boss? Mom?"

Tony did mention Carol took Friday as her daughter. Well, his baby girl was fast to enjoy having herself a mother figure. She sometimes even slipped and called him dad, which always sent a special kind of warmth through his heart.

Carol smiled at the nearest camera, "Yes, sweetie?"

Friday did sound apologetic when she spoke, "I hate to interrupt when both of you are lovey-dovey like that, but we have a problem."

Tony raised an eyebrow. From his point of view, there was always a problem. Nonetheless, he asked, "What is it, Fri?"

"We received a notification from the planetary detection system. A large object, seemingly a spaceship, is entering the planet's atmosphere. No communication has been received. Its current trajectory will land it on an island not far from Norway in the next couple of hours," Friday informed in her usual calm Irish voice.

Tony actually began to worry. Could it be Thanos already? It's far too soon for him to show up; they are barely ready as is. Not able to keep said worry out of his voice, Tony asked again, "Have the council been notified?"