|Chapter 11| The concubine of the good for nothing prince

In a dimly lit room hidden deep within the dragon palace on the sky island Nephel, a young man sat gracefully, his fingers lightly caressing the strings of a sea harp place across a low table. The instrument emitted a soft, melodic tune that filled the space with a melancholic air. The man's long, silver hair cascaded over his shoulders, shimmering faintly in the subdued light. He hummed along to the tune, his eyes half-closed as he lost himself in the music.

The gentle plucking of the strings resonated through the room, each note a delicate whisper. Suddenly, the sound of a teacup smashing distracted him and his concentration wavered, missing a note. The sudden discordance destroying the peaceful atmosphere. His manservant, standing quietly to the side, noticed the disruption but kept his expression neutral.

"Does this song have any lyrics, Your Highness?" the manservant asked, his voice respectful and low.

Ahqi paused, his fingers hovering above the strings. He looked up, a distant look in his eyes. "I don't know," he replied softly, his voice tinged with a hint of sadness. "It's a tune that I picked up by accident, I don't know if they were meant to have words."

Some music was left best unsung.

Ahqi returned to his playing, the haunting melody once again filling the room, though now it seemed even more poignant.

In the adjacent chamber, the atmosphere was starkly different. Drucilla was fuming, male servants rushed to pick up the broken pieces of ceramic, keeping their heads down out of fear. The girl an her hand through her short black hair trying to calm herself. "That Idiot! What was he thinking?" She muttered to herself. Her older brother had taken in a new concubine, she did not care at first, after-all he was a good for nothing, only indulging in nectar and females. It was in her best interest for her brother to remain preoccupied with such frivolous pursuits and yet her father was still considering him as an heir candidate.

Her reputation was stellar, her natural strength, her fiancé, her background under the great healer Althea, she had done everything in her power to put herself in good standing to be crowned the heir apparent, and yet her stupid older brother who had achieved nothing was still in the running. She picked up another teacup and smashed it aggressively.

"At this rate there would be no teacups left in the estate." The one to talk was her closest confidant and servant. Her had short brown hair with a pair of glasses, he sat causally across from her savouring the tea. He looked up at the servants and gave them a visual command telling them all to leave. Soon it was just the both of them. "You know better than to react so strongly, there are eyes everywhere."

Drucilla was the only daughter of the Dragon King, but she had competition from her extended family just waiting for her to slip up. "Your father is just doing this to show he is fair and just, pay it no heed." There was just no way he could be considering such a lascivious man as the heir. "He will set a challenge that only you can pass, so you do not need to be so worried."

Her strategist's words calmed her a bit, but her irritation was rising, without being officially recognised as the heir apparent she was unable to wed Caelestis. She swore under her breath, things should be going smoothly yet everyone was being so difficult, if Caelestis wanted he would have insisted on marrying her years ago, and yet in the five years he had been in the Palace of deities he had not said one word to her, not one! It was as if he had become mute.

She was on her last nerve; she did not want to push him at first but now it was starting to look like she had no choice.

"Yuxuan, what do I do about Caelestis?" She asked her strategist.

"It won't be too late after tonight, if he still refuses to give in there are other ways to make him relent." Despite his calm face, his words were quite sinister, but it allowed Drucilla to ease her anxieties. He was just a celestial, no matter how strong his voice was against her unrelenting strength, he was nothing.