CHAPTER 6

•Everything as usual

NALANI

NOW

"That looks like shit."

"It could be worse."

"A blind Erudite could make it better."

"Oh, don't be so hard on the new artist. It just needs a bit of touching up."

Nalani and Tori both stand in front of the shelf with their arms crossed, looking at the new glass plate critically.

"It doesn't need any touching up, it belongs in the bin, and so does the designer."

Nalani lets out a snort. She stares at the hideous tattoo design one last time before turning to Tori and giving her a knowing nod.  "Okay, you're right, let's get rid of it."

Tori takes a step forward, grabs the plate and throws it in the trash can.

"Great, now I'll have to think of something else, I hate it when there's a loose spot on the shelf."

"I'm sure you'll think of something good....". Nalani winks at her friend and does a twirl to present herself ".... And if you need a muse, I'm here."

Tori lets out a hearty giggle- giving her a pat on the butt. "Good to know."

They smile broadly at each other.

"Anyway, did you find out anything new about the whole Eric-Four-Arlo situation?"

Nalani tosses her head. "No, I saw Four at the liquor store yesterday evening, but it seemed like he ran away from me. And this morning I was at Arlo's door, and he was either playing dead or not there."

"Or he was asleep."

"Maybe. Uuugh. I don't know. I'm just so confused. I can't deny that I really miss Four."

"Calm down. You guys just had a first date."

"Yeah, but either way we've known each other for a while and you know..."

"I know what?"

"I don't know. Please try to understand me. It's just so weird that he treats me like this when I haven't done anything bad," she slumps her shoulders.

Tori sighs.

"Hey, don't be so sad. I'm very sure things will work out, and if they don't, I'll punch them all in the face."

Nalani laughs.

"Even Eric?"

"Even Eric."

Nalani lets herself be hugged. "I'm so glad I have you as my best friend."

Tori brushes her back. "I'm always here for you."

"Anyway, when do you have to go to the initiates testing ceremony."

Tori glances at her watch. "Uuuhm, about twenty minutes ago."

"What? Max is going to kill you!"

"Pff. If he needs me, he'll come get me. I'm still in the hope that he's forgotten about me."

"You really do have a death wish."

"Maybe so."

"Why did you take the job in the first place if you didn't want to go?"

"He just asked me, I said no, and then he demanded me to do it - so I literally had no choice."

Nalani laughs.