Chapter 2

The pale streets of Birmingham were silent during the early hours . A crisp and subtle breeze blew through the cities small hidden cracks .

Charlotte walked out the betting shop and fastened her coat up promptly. She stood still for a second as the cold wind sliced her red raw cheeks .

She spotted the Shelby Company car and knocked on the window .

" Where to miss Gray " asked the driver who sat up straight as he saw the girl knocking .

" The station please " said Charlotte as she attempted to hide her grin as she processed the reality of what what happening .

The driver nodded and she sat in the car . Her head filled with images of what her brother looked like and a smile lit up her flustered face .

As she eventually arrived at the station she hurriedly got out the car and thanked the driver. The grand red train blew its final whistle as Charlotte rushed into the cabin and sat down in an empty compartment .

She sighed and pulled out her notepad with the address on . Charlotte stared at the address and smiled . It has always been just her and Polly at home so she couldn't believe she had a brother to share her thoughts  with . Someone to chat to and  bore with long conversations in the evenings. Someone to share laughter with and smile with . Someone who could relate to her as they are of similar ages . Although Charlotte's very close with her cousin Finn , they never tend to see each other as often as they used to , so Michael would be great company.

As the train progressed on ,  the thick grey clouds and cramped buildings faded into rural fields of green with occasional small white houses .

————

After a few hours the train finally arrived at a small village . Charlotte got off the train and breathed in the fresh county air . A gentle breeze filtered through her hair as she walked towards a cobbled road .

A friendly looking man sat on a horse slowly trotted down the road . His horse pulled a wooden cart filled with hay bales . He was dressed in old worm clothes and had a piece of straw hanging out the corner of his mouth.Charlotte assumed  he was a farmer and smiled at him as he approached .

"Good morning mam " said the farmer

"Morning sir " Charlotte responded kindly

"Em . You wouldn't know the way to this address would you ? It's just I have no idea where I'm going " said Charlotte hopefully .

"Ahh well it just so happens I'm going that way me self , jump on " said the farmer with a smile .

" Thank you so much " said Charlotte with a wide smile .

She sat on the cart in between two hay bails . The farmer told her to hold on tight and she did . The road was very bumpy and she gripped on with firm hands .

Eventually the cart stopped on a grassy path in between fields and a cluster of small white houses .

"Here we are miss , it's the furthest house down the road " shouted the farmer .

Charlotte got off the cart and dusted the pieces of hay of her dress .

" Thank you sir " said Charlotte as she handed the farmer 2 shillings .