48. ECHOES OF SECRET MEETING

Under the night light they gathered, each with their own agenda

_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_

Riddhiya

Taking a deep breath, I watched Arhaan's retreating back disappear around the corner.

Without thinking further, I ran after him, dodging the normal passersby on the crowded street.

It was definitely Arhaan's mother—the one who had just returned home after twenty years. I didn't know much about the matter, except that she had lost her memories, which was very suspicious to begin with.

But I knew for sure that she shouldn't be here—not in this busy street, away from the mansion with no security at all.

Finally, I saw Arhaan opening his car door.

"Arhaan!" I shouted, completely out of breath, my face streaked with tears. I wiped my face with the back of my hand.

He turned around as soon as he heard my voice, a frown etching onto his face, which soon turned to irritation.

"Arhaan, you need to come with me," I told him, trying to catch his mother before she disappeared from sight.

"Riddhiya," he answered, sighing in frustration, "not again. You're obsessing over the wrong person."

"What? No!" I glanced back at him, watching his mother walk farther away each second. We didn’t have time to talk.

Without wasting another second, I grabbed his hand and started pulling us both in the other direction.

I never would have dared to hold his hand in a thousand years, but Arhaan had been stubborn lately—first about not acknowledging my love, and then canceling our marriage without any explanation.

And desperate times called for desperate measures.

"Riddhiya!" he exclaimed, shocked that I was holding his hand and dragging him along. "This is the opposite of what we talked about!" He tried to pull his hand free, but I tightened my grip.

Just a few more minutes before we caught up with his mother.

"Oh my god, you're kidnapping me now?" he said, making me narrow my eyes at his antics. "I'm being kidnapped. I should shout for help now." He was talking to himself, blabbering nonsense.

He was about to shout "Help—" before I stepped on his foot and clamped my hand over his mouth. Boy, was he dramatic.

"Ouch, now you're attacking me," he said, pouting as he looked down at his shoes.

I stopped just as his mother did.

We had walked around the corner and now stood staring at a grand hotel—a high-end place, secluded and the perfect spot for the rich to meet.

What was his mother doing here?

"Look," I told him, gesturing in her direction. She was talking on the phone just outside the main door.

The hotel was a vision of elegance and opulence. The building boasted ancient architecture, with rich, intricate details carved into the creamy stone facade.

Tall, arched windows with ornate, gold-trimmed frames gave the structure an air of timeless grandeur.

Arhaan's cheeks were red, probably from all the running.