Chapter 1: The Walls of Kingdom 1

Kingdom 1, one of the Seven Kingdoms of Sorl, was known not for its wealth or splendor but for its walls-massive, imposing structures that encircled the city, towering high above the rooftops and stretching into the horizon. These walls were not just a physical barrier; they were a symbol of the isolation that had come to define the kingdom. Built decades ago in response to the spreading Blight, the walls served as a defense against the creeping darkness that had claimed so much of the land beyond.

The city within these walls was a shadow of its former self. Once a bustling center of trade and culture, filled with the sights and sounds of a thriving populace, it now existed in a state of subdued survival. The markets, once vibrant with goods from across the Seven Kingdoms, now offered only the essentials-food, clothing, and tools, all produced within the confines of the walls. The streets, paved with cobblestones worn smooth by countless feet, were lined with buildings that showed signs of age and neglect. The air carried the faint smell of smoke from countless chimneys and the earthy scent of the nearby river, which served as the city's lifeblood.

Amidst this setting lived Ivor, a young man with eyes that spoke of dreams beyond the walls. Ivor was of average height, with a lean build shaped by years of physical labor and training. His dark hair was often tousled, and his eyes, a striking shade of blue, held a depth that suggested wisdom beyond his years. He lived with his family in a modest home near the eastern wall-a place where the hum of city life was quieter, and the oppressive presence of the walls was most keenly felt.

Ivor's family consisted of his parents, Maren and Haldor, and his younger sister, Elda. Maren was a seamstress, known for her skill in mending and creating garments from limited materials. Her hands were calloused from years of work, but her touch was gentle and skilled. Haldor worked at the local mill, a place where the city's meager grain supplies were processed. His work was hard, and it showed in his roughened hands and the lines on his face. Elda, the youngest, was a bright-eyed girl with a quick smile and a curious nature. She idolized her older brother, often following him around and peppering him with questions about his training and the stories he loved to tell.

The family's home was small but well-kept, a testament to Maren's meticulous nature. The walls were adorned with simple tapestries, and the furniture, though worn, was comfortable. A small hearth in the corner of the main room provided warmth during the colder months, and the single window allowed a narrow view of the street outside. Despite the limitations of their life, the family shared a close bond, their evenings often spent together around the hearth, sharing stories and dreams.

It was during these evenings that Ivor's love for the world beyond the walls was nurtured. His grandmother, before she passed, had been a storyteller, weaving tales of the world as it once was-a place of open skies, verdant forests, and flowing rivers. She spoke of the Seven Kingdoms, each unique in its culture and strengths, connected by roads and trade routes. Her stories were filled with heroes and villains, great battles, and acts of courage and kindness. But most importantly, she spoke of the gods and the artifacts they left behind, including the legendary Stone of Light-a crystal said to hold the power to cleanse the world of the Blight.

These stories, passed down through generations, were more than just tales to Ivor. They were a window into a world that had been lost, a world he longed to see restored. As he grew older, this longing turned into a determination to do something about the Blight, to find the Stone of Light, and to see if the legends were true. His parents, though supportive of his dreams, were cautious, knowing the dangers that lay beyond the walls. They had seen friends and family leave the city, never to return, swallowed by the darkness or the dangers of the unknown.

To prepare himself for the journey he knew he would one day take, Ivor sought out training. The Old Master, a retired swordsman who had settled in Kingdom 1 many years ago, became his mentor. The Old Master was a man of few words, his face weathered and marked by the scars of countless battles. He had once been a warrior of great renown, traveling across Sorl and witnessing the world's decline firsthand. Now, he lived a quiet life, sharing his knowledge with those who sought him out.