Chapter 3

༺☆༻

Your friend was coming to the village today. Although you had acquaintances in the village, you never really considered any of them friends.

Her name was Umeko. She had short, light brown hair and striking green eyes. Despite having no cursed energy, she was training to be a sorcerer. Umeko wore special glasses that allowed her to see curses, and her rigorous training often kept the two of you apart.

Recently, however, she had received permission to stay in the village for about a month.

"Y/N!!" you heard a familiar voice call out your name. You turned around just in time to see Umeko rushing toward you, a basket of fruits in her hands.

"Umeko..." you said in awe, "You didn't have to!"

She grinned, her green eyes sparkling with joy. "Nonsense! I missed you, and I wanted to bring something special."

"So," she began with a teasing grin, "you've become quite popular around the village. What's that about?"

You swung the basket along your side, feeling a blush creep up your cheeks. "Well... I've been talking to someone," you admitted shyly.

Umeko raised her eyebrows, clearly intrigued. "Seiji Gojo. Do you know him?" you asked.

Her eyes widened in shock, making you uneasy. "Seiji?" she echoed, pausing to collect her thoughts. "And do you like him?"

You shrugged, unsure. "I just think it's too soon to tell."

Umeko's expression softened with a hint of pity. "As long as you're happy, Y/N," she said, her tone gentle but wary.

Did Umeko know something you didn't? Before you could ask, a bell rang outside your home. Both you and Umeko rushed to see the cause. There, on your doorstep, was a small box.

'Gojo,' read the tag attached to it. Smiling, you set the basket of fruits down and opened the box. Inside was a delicate gold necklace, adorned with jewels that glittered in the sunlight.

"Oh wow..." Umeko admired the beauty of the necklace, her eyes wide with appreciation.

"He's been doing this for three weeks now," you said, closing the box and stepping inside your home. Umeko picked up the basket of fruits and followed you in.

You opened a closet, revealing an array of necklaces, rings, and exquisite kimonos. "Whenever he's on long missions and can't see me, he sends these," you explained, gesturing to the collection.

You added the necklace to the collection and closed the closet. Umeko flopped onto your bed with a dramatic sigh, and you sat beside her. Turning her head to you, she groaned, "I'm so tired from these assignments I've been getting. All I've been doing is investigating a curse that's probably not even real."