Chapter 9

༺☆༻

Aiko's eyes went wide with panic, darting around the room to make sure no one had overheard. Without warning, she grabbed your wrist and pulled you into the dark pantry, shutting the door behind her with a soft click. The small space was cramped, shadows from shelves looming over you.

"Y/N, are you insane?!" she hissed, her voice sharp but hushed. Her grip on your arm tightened. "Escaping? That is suicide!"

Her words hit like a splash of cold water, you met her frantic gaze, your resolve hardening.

"We'll die here anyway. Why not give it a try?"

Aiko shook her head, her expression a mixture of terror and disbelief. "You don't understand," she whispered, her voice trembling now. "If he catches you, it'll be worse than death. Much worse."

"I've made up my mind," you said, the words falling out of your mouth with false certainty. You hadn't. Not really. But if you kept saying it, if you kept pretending, maybe the courage would come. Maybe the fear would stop clawing at your insides.

Aiko's eyes were wide, pleading, as she stood there, frozen between panic and frustration. "Y/N, I'm not going to let you do this."

You scoffed, though the sound was hollow even to your own ears. "What are you going to do? Tell on me?" The words were sharp, but beneath the surface, your heart raced. You needed her on your side—needed her to understand that this was your only option, even if you hadn't fully convinced yourself yet.

Aiko's expression darkened, her lips pressing into a thin line. "I'm trying to protect you," she whispered, her voice trembling.

Her words hung heavy between you, thick with fear and unspoken truths. You could feel the weight of her loyalty, torn between keeping you safe and the chains that bound her to this place.

You pushed away from Aiko, her desperate eyes lingering on you as you stormed out of the pantry. Whatever. You didn't need her help, didn't need anyone's approval. You could handle this on your own. You could leave tomorrow if you wanted—no one could stop you. Not Aiko. Not Sukuna. No one. Well maybe Sukuna.

Yeah. That's what you were going to do. Escape tomorrow night.

The thought repeated in your mind, over and over, each time feeling more like a challenge than a promise. Your hands trembled slightly as you balled them into fists, forcing confidence you didn't fully feel. But it had to work.

You rushed up the stairs, heading toward the right wing when you felt it—his presence, thick and suffocating. Odd. He usually slept in this late—

"You."

The voice stopped you cold, your heart sinking as you turned your head toward the room.