Chapter 8-The Mysteries Begin

Hazel

"Mum, I'm going to check Chestnut!" Hazel bellowed to her mother before skipping out onto the porch to check the stable. Suddenly, Hazel spotted a figure running towards her and realised it was Edaline. Gleefully, Hazel smiled at her and Edaline returned it. "I'm going to check out Chestnut. Wanna hop along?" Hazel offered and Edaline agreed.

"So, who's Chestnut?" asked Edaline, but stopped when she noticed the stable in front of them.

"Yep, you guessed it." replied Hazel, following Edalines' gaze.

As Hazel led Edaline through the gates of the stable, it was eerily quiet. Normally, Chestnut would immediately prance up to Hazel and nuzzle on her shoulder. Hazel's thoughts were running in circles when Edaline's voice suddenly bolted her awake. "Chestnut! He's not here!"

Alarmed, Hazel took Edaline by the hand and told her to search the area. Edaline agreed and Hazel went the other way, anxiously calling out "Chestnut!"

As soon as Hazel and Edaline met, Edaline blurted out, "Chestnut! I think I saw his tail but when I checked again, he disappeared!"'

Phew. He's probably just taking a stroll around the garden. I'll call his name and he'll come.' Hazel thought, relieved. The two friends walked towards the heart of the house and placed a food bowl. She bellowed "Chestnut!"

Edaline worriedly looked around and realised that there wasn't any sign of Chestnut. "I think he escaped!"

Hazel glanced at Edaline, eyes huge with worry. "I can't race if I don't have my horse! I can't lose him!" she wailed as she slumped down in defeat.

-

Hazel and Edaline hurried to Hazel's mum and told her about the scenario. Hazel's mum promised she'd look for him considering the important event and told her he probably didn't hear. "If I find him, I'll make him prepared." she promised. "After all, it's your big day!"

'If?' Hazel thought, her eyes brimming with emotion.