The Tension

Lunch was over. Soobin pulled the car into the garage at headquarters and turned off the engine. He sat there quietly. His fingers lightly drummed against his thigh. He was half tempted to ask the younger if he wanted to go anywhere else. No meetings, no stress, just himself and his date. If Kai didn't need to be back, he would've. Instead, he got out of the car.

Hyuka looked at the blonde like he held the world when his door was opened for him. He then found himself suddenly pushed against it when Soobin leaned over. His eyes were level to his lips. He could smell his cologne again. His breath was unsteady while he timidly mumbled "thanks for lunch..."

"You're welcome..." Soobin brushed Kai's hair behind his ear then gently held his cheek. His thumb stroked it. His skin was soft. His rosey lips looked delicate. He was dying to feel them when he leaned in closer. "You look great today. Have I told you that yet?"

"You too..." A call went off on Hyuka's phone.

"Don't answer that."

Hyuka peaked at the screen. It was his supervisor probably wondering where he was. "I-I have to."

"You don't. I can excuse you." Soobin pulled his chin closer until they were merely a breath apart. "Stay with me." The phone rang again. He looked deep into his eyes then begged "don't answer it. Kiss me instead."

Hyuka wanted to until it wasn't only his phone going off. The blonde's screen illuminated his pocket. "You should probably get that."

"Are you forcing me to?"

"I think your mom is."

Soobin looked behind him to see who his crush was pointing to. "Fuck..."

A woman in an all tan Chanel business suit came marching in with two bodyguards behind her. "So! Your phone does work!"

Hyuka was thankful that she was a public figure or else he wouldn't have recognized her. The only similarities between her and her son were those big almond eyes and her dimples. Listening to them argue was like watching a rap battle go on. Both talked unusually fast. The worse their mood became, the quicker they seemed to talk.

"I wasn't ignoring dad either!"

Mrs. Choi argued "yes you were! He called you twice! Were you out with him?! Was that it?! What is this Soobin? Intern number seven that you've fucked?! You need to take your job and your privacy more seriously!"

Hyuka left. He didn't care if Soobin fucked interns before. With how confident the blonde was in asking him out, he kind of expected it. What he was upset about was him losing sight of why he was in New York in the first place. To find a murderer. Not to date.

"Kai wait!" Soobin wanted to run after him but found his wrist grabbed. "IT'S NOT TRUE! I SWEAR!"

Mrs. Choi demanded "let him go. He has a job to get to and so do you."

"Why would you tell him that?!"

"Honey, I work in politics. I don't waste time nor let my son waste time with people who don't matter. I was doing you both a favor."

"Like my bodyguards huh? I don't have friends or any fucking social life because of them! Kai was the first person in MONTHS who didn't care about them and you fucking lied to him!"

Mrs. Choi wasn't interested in letting the conversation go on further. "You're my son. The bodyguards remain until they catch who tried to kill you."

"And how's that going? Still no leads right?"

"Yet."

"What if they never catch them mom?! I'm going to be alone forever!"

"That's what arranged marriages are for honey."

"MOM!"

"I have to go. Your father will be calling in an hour. Be on it or you'll be hearing from him next."

"MOM!" Soobin ran after his mother and kept complaining to no avail. She was a lost cause but Kai wasn't. He rode the elevator up until he was on the 22nd floor. The doors opened to his crush being scolded in front of his peers. His protective instinct took over. He rushed to the younger's supervisor and sternly asked "what is the problem here?"

The old man explained "Kai here was five minutes late from his lunch break. We run an efficient system. Tardiness is not acceptable."

"He was late because of my mother and I. We were speaking to him in the garage. Isn't that right?"

Hyuka wished with his entire soul that people would stop making him the center of attention. It's hard to observe the hive when the hive is busy observing you. "It is and I apologize. It won't happen again."

Soobin stared the supervisor down until he apologized to Kai. A satisfied smile came when he got what he wanted. The younger didn't seem as pleased. He watched the group split back into two to presume the rest of their work day. Before Kai could go back to his, he tapped his shoulder then quietly asked "can we talk later?"

People were staring at them again. Hyuka refused to look at the blonde out of uncomfortableness. "There's nothing to talk about."

"It's not true. What my mom said."

"It doesn't matter. I just work for you."

"Can we still talk later? Please?"

"Sure. I'll be in the lobby after work."

Soobin reluctantly went back to his own work after his bodyguards nudged him towards his office. Disappointingly, there wasn't much to do. Playing solitaire, grabbing snacks and responding to his father, was enough to waste an entire hour of his workday. There was still four more hours left.

Bored out of his mind, he leaned backwards in his office chair to see if he could catch a glimpse of his lunch date. To his surprise, he did. He watched him intently listen to his supervisor with a notepad in his hand. Kai was gorgeous. Pretty faces were everywhere but he was just different. The way he carried himself contained an aura that Soobin was hopelessly drawn to.

Beomgyu walked past the interns with a stack of files in his hand from the police station. It contained a lot of papers to say they found nothing new but he assumed Soobin might want to see it regardless. "Here. The station faxed it over to me."

"I assume they found nothing?"

"Pretty much." Beomgyu turned around to see who his cousin couldn't stop glancing at. "You know, I was kidding before. You really do like him don't you?"

Soobin motioned for him to close the door. After the younger sat down, he explained "I took him to lunch."

Beomgyu leaned forward with excited anticipation. "And?"

"It went really well. Until... my mom showed up."

"Your mom was at lunch?"

"No. In the garage afterwards. She told him that I always fuck interns and then he left. I haven't had a chance to talk to him since."

"Why would she do that?"

"I was ignoring my parent's calls during lunch? I don't fucking know. I'm almost thirty. I shouldn't need to call mommy and daddy back right away. They can fucking wait."

Beomgyu scratched his head to prepare himself to say something the older may not want to hear. "Well..."

"Well what?"

"Someone is trying to kill you... I don't completely blame them from getting concerned when you don't respond..."

"You're supposed to be on my side!"

"I am! But I also understand theirs!" Beomgyu stood up to peak out of the door. Kai was writing and laughing with one of the female interns at a desk. The bodyguards suggested he close the door. He responded by opening it wider. "Look, just talk to him. I'm sure it's not the disaster you're thinking it is."

Seeing Kai acting so happy with someone else made Soobin believe it was.