Part 3 - New Day

Saturday 20th June 1942

Bucky and Steve had just met up outside of Steve's apartment and began walking to Y/N's apartment. The weather was rather warm so both men had only come out wearing plain white button shirts, no jackets, but Steve was also chose to wear a navy blue tie. Both sets of their sleeves were rolled up to their elbows, and the top two buttons of Bucky's shirt were undone in an attempt to keep cooler.

"I can't believe you called her a god damn brat buck?! What was you thinking?" Steve scolds his older friend in utter disbelief.

"I don't even know I just wasn't expecting her to reject me, I've never had an issue with the ladies before" he admits shrugging. "God I hate her"

"But yet you brought her your entire life savings? The same life savings you'd never dip into to get even your mother a birthday present? Yeah sure you hate her" Steve scoffs teasing Bucky. Unsure on how to respond Bucky doesn't say anything and instead grips onto an envelope in his trouser pocket slightly harder, it contains a whole four hundred dollars. He can't help but debate if he's making the right decision giving someone he met only yesterday his money yet unbeknownst to him in his heart he knows he is. She was different to all the other women he had met and he could not understand why.

"I know you're worried about going to fight you know? I wish I was going with you" Steve admits changing the subject becoming more serious.

"I know you do." Bucky sighs looking down at his smaller friend and placing a firm hand on his shoulder squeezing it "I worry about you, just don't do anything stupid until I get back"

Steve staring at the floor can't help but stifle a laugh as he raises his head to meet Bucky's eyes. "How can I when you're taking all the stupid with you?" Causing Bucky to sigh again, he knows Steve keeps lying on enlistment forms in hopes he is going to be able to join the military like his father and now Bucky too. There may have only been a year between the two, but Bucky saw Steve as a little brother, and a small one at that, who didn't know when to back away from a fight.

"This is her apartment right? Looks a little different in the daylight" Bucky says snapping out of his worries, receiving a curt nod in response from Steve.

Both men walk up to the door and Steve raises a fist in ready to knock but just as he does the withered looking door swings open and Y/N is already stood there wearing her most summer themed attire.

It was a beautiful button up polka dot light blue dress with a small rounded white lace collar, it had subtle puff sleeves, a cinched waist to accentuate her hips and dropped just below the knee in length. It wasn't as tight as the dress she wore the previous night so she felt a lot more modest. Her face only adorned mascara today and her cheeks flushed a rose colour due to the hot weather. There was an absence in jewellery and instead some slight bags under her eyes which must have been a result of all the crying and lack of sleep she probably had last night, but unless you'd been inspecting her closely, like Bucky had, you wouldn't notice them. White heels upon her dainty feet made her an inch or two taller than her natural height however she was still only around five foot four with them on so Bucky towered over her.

Her Y/H/C hair styled in a way where it was pinned up to keep cool with a white bow tied around her head. She let a couple of stay curls fall out in front of the bow to her forehead and frame her face. For a split second Bucky wanted to reach out and tuck a strand behind her ear, almost as if he was in a trance, but restrained himself. He couldn't stop himself from staring her up and down though, god she looked jaw dropping. By the time he reached her face again he saw her frustrated expression and merely blinked unsure on what to say.