Rivals Appear

Updated 8/22/23

"Time to go back?" The raven-haired boy inquired, his voice carrying through the air to the sunlight-blond companion seated atop a tree.

With a grin, the blond responded, "Haha yeah." 

As the sun cast its warm glow, the two friends navigated their journey homeward, shoulders swaying under the weight of fatigue. Upon entering the house, their figures marred with the remnants of their day's exertions, they were met with the sight of everyone except Tsunami gathered around the table, relishing their meal.

"You guys are finally back. You guys look really dirty and worn out." the intoxicated individual chimed in, his gaze assessing the weary boys.

Naruto's countenance brightened. "Yeah we both got to the top. Believe it!!"

Sonia's smirk complemented her words, "Oh we believe it Naruto. Good job."

"All right! Starting tomorrow, Naruto, Sasuke you two will be protecting Tazuna-san." Kakashi informed them with his lazy look.

"Okay!!" The camaraderie in the room was palpable, laughter and recognition filling the space. Naruto's exclamation was met with amusement, even as the room watched the pair stumble, collapsing into a heap.

"Spectacular coordination there," Sasuke's dry comment elicited chuckles.

"Naturally," Sonia quipped, assisting Naruto to his feet with a playful smile.

Amusement resonated around the room as the duo resurfaced, Sakura's hand lending support to Sasuke.

"Hehe I'm also worn out from today's bridge work. At any rate, the bridge is almost complete."

The aroma of miso ramen beckoned, capturing their senses as they dived into dinner. After Naruto's bowl had been cleaned with characteristic gusto, he and Sonia embarked on a conversation about ramen variations, their shared enthusiasm evident.

However, Sonia's attention was drawn to Inari's tears, his anguish palpable. His sudden outburst resonated through the room, slamming like a forceful wave against the table. Sakura's startle was evident.

"Why do you guys bother to try so hard?! No matter how hard you train, you're still no match for Gatou's men!! No matter what glorious claims you make or how hard you work, when facing the strong the weak will only end up getting killed!!" Inari finished still having tears running down his cheeks.

Inari's disheartened words triggered an exasperated response from Sonia. "Inari didn't we talk about this already? We would give up our lives just to protect the ones we care about and the ones we are assigned to protect."

The air grew charged with tension as Inari's emotions escalated, and he retorted, his frustration spilling over. "Just shut up! I'd hate to be like you! You don't know anything about this country, yet you're being so nosy! What the hell do you know about me?! I'm different from you, you and Naruto are always clowning around and acting so jovial, you don't know how hard life can be!!"

Sonia's irritation was palpable. She stood abruptly, her eyes locking onto Inari's. "You're right Naruto and I are way different than you. But you know what-?" Her words were truncated by an interjection.

"So it's okay for you to pose as the star of the tragedy and cry all day? Just keep crying forever you sissy!!" Naruto's voice rang out, a pointedness underlining his words. 

"Naruto, Sonia you've said enough!" Sakura yelled out.

Naruto rose to his feet, drawing Sonia along, the two exiting the room. Sasuke's gaze remained trained on the departing duo. He struggled to parse the sensations swirling within, perplexed by his response to Naruto leading Sonia away...away from him.