CHAPTER 7: THE PERFECT DISGUISE

Five years into their marriage, Knowledge Mandaa and her wife Sasha  were blessed with two healthy and wonderful sons. Their names were Brantley Mandaa, and Leon Mandaa. Brantley, had turned three years old two months earlier, and his younger brother Leon had his first birthday less than a month before. Both of the boys were the apple of their parents’ eyes, their true pride and joy.

For some unexplained reason, Brantley. looked more like his dad, and Leon looked more like his mom. The children inherited genes from both sides of the family. Today was the day when the Mandaa’s couple were expecting Knowledge’s parents, Cephas and Mildred Mandaa The loving Shona couple were about to celebrate their fiftieth wedding anniversary in their native home of Mutare

Nobody could've been happier than Knowledge himself. As an only child, he was proud that his parents never divorced and maintained a loving and respectful marriage. While getting their sons dressed before picking up Cephas and Mildred from the airport, Knowledge and Sasha had a few deadlines to meet.

“Honey, exactly what time are your parents due to arrive at Hatfield?”

Sasha asked Knowledge, placing the shoes on the feet of Brantley

“Dad said that he and mother were due to arrive at about 3:15 p.m.,” Knowledge told his ever concerned wife, buttoning the shirt of their younger son Leon.

“The trip from Harare is about three hours flat.”

“And that's without any air disturbances."

I remember all that traveling you were doing when we first met. You never really told me why you were traveling all over the Zimbabwe.”

Knowledge took a moment to tap into his memory bank. Some of those memories were bitter; very few of them sweet. “Well, darling, I had a lot of business to take care of. Business to sort of set some things straight.” “Business dealing with the pet shops and veterinary clinics in Chronicles Kings company?"

“Somewhat,” Knowledge answered apprehensively, the pain from his past coming back to periodically haunt him. “Like any other businessman, sometimes you have to correct wrongs; you have to set some people and some situations straight."

“So, were these people set straight?’ ‘I'd say so.”

“Does that explain some of your former college classmates coming back to apologize for some of their wrongs against you?” “Exactly, my dear.

”Brantley. and Leon were both dressed and ready to meet their grandparents for the first time. Knowledge looked at his eldest son and asked, “Do you.”

“Do you love your mommy?” “Yes.

“Do you love your brother Leon?” “Yes.

“I Know you do, son,” Knowledge replied, giving his son the warmest hug. “Well, Brantley and Leon, you're going to meet grandma and grandpa Mandaa for the first time. Are you two fellas ready to meet your grandparents?

Brantley and Leon nodded their heads with much delight. They'd spoken on the phone with their grandparents, even communicated with them through Skype on the computer. Sasha's parents, Masauso and Anna Saidi, were also excited about meeting their grandchildren for the first time. Their drive from Murambi was a much shorter trip than the journey made by Knowledge's parents. 

“What time are we expecting your parents?" Knowledge asked Sasha, walking downstairs holding the hands of both sons.

“Around the same time as your parents,” Sasha presumed, walking a few steps behind her husband and sons.

“Those highways from Harare can get very congested at times.”

“Surely they can. This'll be the second time that our parents meet since our wedding.”