To the Bloody Gates

Words: 3014

Warnings: None

---------------------------------------------------

Saera

I do not trust nor like Alicent, but I do not blame her for her father's sins against my family. But as I follow her, I wonder if she will finish off the job her father started. I soon realize that wrong as we head across the public gardens to the bustling stables, filled with hurrying help and nobles trying to pack quickly. I am confused as to why she has brought me here. 

"I know you must be curious, but I believe it will be worth it." Alicent says happily as she leads me down through the stables, seemingly aiming towards an end stall. "Viserys helped me with this, and though he wasn't able to be here, I want you to know it is from the both of us. At the moment he is trying to mend bonds with Nalios after my idiotic sons were stupid enough to do anything to the poor girl." Alicent rattles on and on. She seems to have dropped the ever calm and patient facade and is not dreadful without it. We finally make it to the end stall where a large man, twice the size of my husband stands beside five purebred Dothraki horses. 

"I am very much confused Alicent. For if this is the apology gift given in event of your father murdering my daughter, I am deeply insulted. My daughter's life was worth more than a thousand purebred steeds." I say, keeping my volume in check, but not my tone. 

"Oh, Mother, no, I would never." Alicent says, her face paling and her eyes widening at the accusations. "Ser Brandon? Ser Brandon!" Alicent calls out. The man dressed in servant's clothes turns around and bows towards the queen then towards me.

"Your Grace, Princess, how can I be of service?" The tree-like man, Ser Brandon, says.

"Saera, this is Ser Brandon Blackwood, he was a most skilled initiate for the kingsguard. He has undergone all the training for the kingsguard but was pulled him from the duty when he sired a bastard. We have asked him, if you are willing to accept, to be Saevys's sworn protector." Alicent finishes up, glancing at me expectantly. My daughter deemed important enough to have a sworn protector. My daughter, never in danger from anyone else again. My daughter, who I will never have to lose.

"Yes, I welcome Ser Brandon as long as he performs his duties." I say back to Alicent who lets out a breath.

"And for the Valemen party, ten steeds from the grass sea, two chests of gold, and 40 fighting men. I was advised against such a large gift, but what my father did is a sin that stains even my soul, killing the babe, trying to kill you, maiming your daughter? It is worth ten times this, but this was what I was permitted and what Viserys could get on short notice. Both me and my husband wish you well. Have a safe travel, Princess." The queen says before walking away.

"Ser Brandon, my daughter, your now charge, is to be protected at any cost. Do you understand?" I ask the guard.

"Yes, Princess, that is why I am here. When Lady Saevys awakes, I will give her my oath. But I swear to you, Princess Saera, that I will do everything in my power to keep Saevys safe and protected. No matter what the queen wishes." He says, while bowing his head to me. I stand there stunned and happy as I can be. My little one will not be taken from me. I will not lose her as I have almost every other.

---------------------------------------------------

Aemond

As the nobles scurry around, trying to get ready to leave after the fast-approaching feast, I sit on a ledge above the training yard. I watch as the guards on break train and fight and duel, scanning their movements for weakness. I fiddle with Saevys's bracelet, thoughts flying, wondering if she will survive, wondering what I would do if I was in little Ronnael's position. Helaena attacked and maimed, lying unconscious, looking like a corpse. I would be lost in grief and questioning what I could have done.