-19-

☆꧁༒Louisa May Pearl༒꧂☆

                    ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽       ✽      ✽        ✽       ✽ 

As we wait in the hospital corridor, the atmosphere is tense and somber. My mind races with fear and uncertainty, the beeping of the machines echoing in my ears. Myla clutches my hand, her presence a small comfort in this unbearable situation.

Richard Collahan stands apart from us, his face a mask of stoic determination. It's clear he's struggling to keep his emotions in check, his eyes betraying the turmoil within. He paces back and forth, occasionally glancing at the door to Holden's room, as if willing it to open with good news.

Suddenly, the door swings open and a nurse emerges, her expression grave. "Is my son alright?" He asks.

The nurse pauses, taking a deep breath before responding. "Mr. Collahan, I'm afraid your son's condition remains critical. He's stable for now, but he sustained significant injuries. We've done everything we can, but it's really up to Holden's body to fight this."

Richard's shoulders slump, his face reflecting a mix of frustration and fear. He turns to face the rest of us, his eyes meeting mine with a look that is both pleading and resigned. "How could this happen?" he mutters, more to himself than anyone else.

Margaret takes a step closer, my heart aching for him. "Is there anything we can do? Anything at all?"

The nurse shakes her head gently. "At this point, it's a waiting game. We'll keep monitoring him closely and update you if there are any changes. You should try to get some rest, but we understand if you need to stay here."

As the nurse returns to Holden's room, the weight of her words settles heavily over us. The corridor feels colder now, and the silence is almost oppressive. Richard's composure starts to crack, and he finally sinks into a chair, burying his face in his hands.

Margaret and Charlotte, who have been quietly sobbing, move closer to Richard. They offer their support in hushed tones, their voices choked with emotion.

Myla turns to me, her face lined with worry. "Louisa, are you okay?"

I nod, though I feel anything but. "I just—I don't know what to do. I feel like I should be doing more."

Myla's eyes are full of sympathy. "You're here for him, and that's what matters. We all are. It's just so hard seeing him like this."

 ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ 

Inside the room, the sight of Holden lying so still, surrounded by machines and tubes, is almost too much to bear. Richard stands by his side, his hand resting gently on Holden's shoulder. His composed facade cracks for a moment, and I see the pain and worry etched into his features.

"Holden, you have to fight," Richard murmurs, his voice breaking. "You've always been a fighter. Don't give up now, son"

Margaret rushes to Holden's side, her hands trembling as she caresses his face. "My baby," she whispers, her voice choked with sobs. "Please wake up."

Aviel, who had been standing silently, moves to comfort Marissa, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "He's strong, Aunt Margaret," he says softly. "He'll pull through this."

Charlotte's face pale and stricken. She collapses into a chair beside the bed, holding Holden's hand tightly. "You can't leave us, Holden," she whispers fiercely. "We need you."