Heaven Is Not Forever

Charlie woke up at Vaggie's side, as she did every morning. Since the Hotel had started and the extermination had been postponed indefinitely, she no longer had the slight sense of unease that she had to hide under layers of positivity in search of a solution for her mission.

It had been months since she and her friends rebuilt the Hotel, with increasing happiness she saw it filling up, between those seeking to improve and those seeking protection. The general atmosphere had improved, and this was affecting people. It was always a joy to see downhearted and hopeless people improving in spirit and behavior.

Stretching herself, she got out of the blankets trying not to wake up her girlfriend and headed to the bathroom to start the day.

After a shower and a brief skincare, she put on her usual red suit. Coming out of the bathroom, she saw Vaggie stretching out her arms, newly awakened.

«Good morning, Charlie.» she said, her voice still sleepy.

«Good morning!» replied Charlie with her usual enthusiasm. She took a list from the dresser next to the bed and began scrolling through the items with her finger: «We have a full schedule! Trust exercises, civic and emotional education, all the support groups...it's going to be a great day!» her usual enthusiasm was infectious, but also exhausting.

Vaggie huffed: «Yes, like the day before, and the day before, and the day before...»

«EXACTLY!» exclaimed Charlie, pulling her girlfriend out of the blankets.

So the two finished getting ready. As they left their room, they were greeted by an already bustling hallway. Hotel guests, those who had already eaten breakfast, were either engaged in their personal activities or on their way to their various scheduled tasks. The feeling of community was palpable, and Charlie felt grateful for every small step forward she saw.

They crossed the main hallway, greeting guests and receiving warm smiles and greetings. The hotel was becoming a true refuge, a place where redemption seemed possible even in the heart of hell.

Taking the elevator, the two women headed for the lowest floor: the cafeteria was still full of people. Charlie was again grateful to Alastor and his shadows; although he did not believe in her mission, the Radio Demon was doing his best to improve the lives of her and everyone in the Hotel to maximize their focus on their journey.

As she served herself with food, she greeted those present by calling them by name, «Good morning, Gloria, did you sleep better? Hey, Frederick, did you find your hat? Gunther, I hope there are clothes under the jacket! Lucas, for the last time, you can't take a whole pan of eggs just for yourself! You have to share with the others!»

These last two, Lucas and Gunther, had proven to be pains in Charlie's ass, demanding constant attention. With a snort and a smile, she reached the table at which the staff was seated, those friends who had rebuilt the Hotel with her. Angel Dust and Husk were seated on one side, Cherry was on the other along with Nifty. Nifty alternated a bite with an obsessive cleaning session in the places where she made a mess, and then also cleaned where the others made a mess as well.

Charlie sat down next to Angel Dust, with Vaggie in front of her. The spider-demon, sitting with a relaxed posture and a teasing smile, addressed her with a joke, «Already tired early in the morning?»

«Nah, it's Lucas and Gunther. They're a bit of a relapsers, and I've run out of ideas to help them.»

Cherry Bomb, sitting next to them, made a proposal, her mouth half full: «Um, ever thought of getting them to cooperate? Maybe they can find some common ground and help each other.»