The Past That Returns

TW: torture scars, homophobic slurs

In her office, Charlie studied the concept map she had created. She was trying to figure out how to solve this riddle and what questions to ask the Idols. On the desk next to her, Vaggie flipped through tome after tome, looking for clues: books on riddles, articles on the construction of the Celestial Embassy, and even some insights into ancient Greece, since the language the riddle was written in was indeed Greek.

«How about ... I ask the idols directly? Now that we know the meanings of their monosyllables, it should be easy...» Charlie suggested.

«But how do you tell them apart? Let's say they all answer in the affirmative to the question "Are you Truth?"» Vaggie replied.

Tired and frustrated, Charlie covered her face with one hand: «Argh, you're right. She expressed her sadness by saying «I believe Sir Pentious would be the only person capable of solving this riddle».

«Pentious was an engineer, he didn't know anything about riddles.» Added Vaggie: «We need someone who is good with riddles and with the spoken language in general. Or someone who knows how the Embassy of Heaven was built, maybe the information on the crypt is included.»

A flash of inspiration crossed Charlie's mind, jolting her. «Belphegor!» she exclaimed, her eyes shining with determination. «The archive of the Sloth Ring! That's where we have to go.»

Vaggie raised an eyebrow, clearly surprised. «Belphegor? The Arch-Demon of Sloth? He's not exactly known for being... active.»

«I know.» Charlie replied «But it's also true that Belphegor has accumulated immense knowledge over the millennia. In addition to corrupting souls, he is also the keeper of the very ancient archive of the Sloth Ring. If there is a place where we can find information about the construction of the Celestial Embassy and perhaps some clues to the riddle, it is there.»

Vaggie remained skeptical. «Yes, but you've mentioned the Sloth Ring to me more than once.» she told her in a worried tone. «The more time you spend there, the harder it is to get out. It's too dangerous to stay, especially when we have to spend hours searching through such a huge archive.»
Charlie took a moment to think. «I know very well how the Rings work, Vaggie. I am the Princess of Hell, after all. But if we really want to solve this situation, we have to be willing to take risks.» A thought began to form in her mind and a smile appeared on her face. «We might have a solution, though. We have to bring someone with such an energetic and hyperactive personality that can keep us awake. Someone who is... explosive.»
Vaggie took a moment to comprehend, then her eyes widened. «Oh, no...»
Charlie nodded firmly. «Oh, yes.»
«Oh, no!»
«Oh, yes!»
«Not Cherri Bomb! Anyone but her!»
Charlie approached Vaggie and tried to calm her down. «Vaggie, you have to trust me. Cherri isn't the most stable of our friends, but she's the best for the job.»
Vaggie relented, covering her face with one hand in frustration. «All right. But if we get into trouble with the Arch-demon of laziness, it will be all your fault!»
Charlie smiled warmly at her. «Don't worry, Belphegor is peaceful by nature. It couldn't be otherwise.» she added in a slightly amused tone.
Vaggie didn't seem completely convinced, but her thoughts shifted to another topic. «Well, in this case there is another obstacle.» she pointed out. «Cherri's not in a good mood today.»
Charlie looked at her in surprise. «And how do you know that?»
«The downstairs walls are still in one piece.» Vaggie replied with a sigh. «I'm sure she's in mourning at Sir Pentious' memorial.»
Charlie didn't lose her enthusiasm. «Another reason to convince her to come! Maybe giving her an important mission will help her distract herself and make her feel useful.»

Vaggie looked at her with a mixture of resignation and admiration. «I hope you're right, Charlie. This mission is getting more and more complicated.»