It Won't Last Forever | 6

The sound of my name stops me in my tracks.

       Slowly, I turn around. "I thought I told you not to follow me," I warn, narrowing my eyes at Mono.

       I wait for him to explain. I don't need him and we're not friends anymore, but I want to know why he's here. If he's trying to get me to be friends again, I'm not gonna agree. It's over. I killed his friend, he got mad, and it's done now.

       "Yeah. I know, I just....," he pauses.

       If he needs to think about what to say, he's hiding something.

       "...I wanted to find you again."

       Liar.

       I don't know if it's all a lie, or if he's leaving the truth out, but he didn't seem like that's the only reason he's here. He hesitated to come up with something.

      "Why?" I ask, never looking away from Mono. Why would he want to find me, after I killed his friend and now that I'm more powerful than I ever was?

       He says something about us still being friends and wanting to go with me that doesn't make sense. I left. He shouldn't be coming back and saying things that aren't true.

       I keep going and he trails behind me - far behind. Maybe he's scared of me now. Did he see me kill all the Eaters? I hope he did. Whether he's scared or not, I don't want him here. "Stop following me!" I snap, turning around.

       "Why?" He crosses his arms, raising an eyebrow. I see what he's not saying: I need an answer, and I'm not leaving until I get one.

        You should tell him the REAL reason why he can't be here.

        Huh? What's the real reason?

       Try to remember it. Come on, you have to remember!

        If it was that important, how could I have forgotten it?

       You didn't want to remember - you blocked it out. It doesn't matter, though, because I remember. And I don't forget things.

        "I...I.... 'Why?' " I repeat, trying to think back to what Mono asked. I close my eyes, trying to focus. "Because.... I don't know, there's something...." There's something you're not telling me.

       There's something you're not telling YOURSELF.

       If you know, then why don't you just say so?

        You won't believe me. You have to remember so that you see it. I'm not just gonna say it.

       "No, what is it? What happened? Tell me!" I demand, grabbing at my head as if I can reach inside and pull the answers from my brain. I'm trying to remember! Just tell me! I can handle it!

       Hmm....

       Mono says something I don't hear. I'm not listening closely enough over the pounding of my heart.

...Ask him why he won't just forget about you.

       And I'll remember what happened? The reason why I can't stay with him anymore? I don't know if I want to hear it. The voice is silent, and that doesn't seem like a good thing.

       I look up at Mono, wondering if he's going to attack and the voice in my head doesn't want that to happen. He stands there, frowning and concerned, looking like he's about to help, not fight.