Chapter 8

Nora Martinez

The first memory was followed by the second.

Peter Pan came out a couple of years later.

And it was night again. We talked for a long time, but I still remember this conversation. He somehow left me this memory.

It wasn't the last night he visited me, but that night he still erased one single memory. He deleted the moment where he told me:

"I love you, Nora Martinez."

At that moment I was confused, speechless. I didn't know what to say to him, but my heart raced and wanted my lips to say the same. And when I was about to do it, dad entered my room. Surprisingly, he was completely sober that night.

"What's going on here, Nora?" he asked then.

"Nothing, father, it's just me," I answered him. The room was dark, but he turned on the light. I didn't manage to hide Peter Pan, so dad saw him sitting next to me.

"Hello?" Peter said confused and stood up. "It is with great respect that I would like to introduce myself to you, sir. I'm Peter Pan."

What has he come up with now? Why didn't he hide? Why did he decide to meet my dad?

"What else is Peter Pan? I've never heard of any Peter Pan," my dad shot back, eyeing the boy suspiciously. "Nora, explain to me what's going on here? How did this unwashed little boy end up in my house?"

"Dad, calm down, I'll explain everything to you right away," I quickly got out of bed and went to dad and took his hand.

I thought it would help him to be a little more gentle with my lies. I had to do my best not to come off as a liar. And I'm not good at lying at all, so I hoped that Peter would agree with me when he heard what I was about to say.

"Peter Pan is an old friend of mine. He came to me when you were already sleeping with your mother. I didn't want to wake you up so I quietly let him into the house and we both went to my room. He came because he wanted to talk to me. There was nowhere else to go," I looked hopefully at Peter, and tears suddenly began to gather in my eyes. I don't even know why I got so upset.

Peter was completely confused for a while, but the next minute he quickly realized what needed to be done, so he joined my lie and began to convince my dad.

He said:

"Yes, sir. I had a big fight with my parents. To tell the truth, they said they didn't love me, they said it would have been better if they had put me in an asylum or if I hadn't been born at all," tears rolled down Peter Pan's cheek. For a moment I thought maybe what he had just told my dad was true. Or part of the truth.

Peter began to lie more convincingly:

"They kicked me out of the house. And my only friend is your daughter. I had nowhere else to go, and it is very dangerous for a child to sleep on the street at such a time, so I came to you expecting to ask for your help directly, but when Nora opened the door and let me in and told me to be quiet, I realized that you were all already asleep. She really didn't want to wake you up and was going to explain everything in the morning. I promise, if you don't want me here, just tell me, I'll leave right away in the morning, just let me stay the night. Only this night."