Chapter 2

Nora Martinez

Tonight, like many others, I went to the water. I was sitting on a large stone, which was half soaked in cool water, and my feet were immersed in it. I watched how, far away on the horizon, every now and then another fish, dolphin or mermaid emerged and returned to the water.

But my peace was disturbed by Ariel. It is a mermaid that was perhaps the best and most decent in all these oceans. She dived to land, but remained sitting with her fin of great beauty in the water. In the moonlight, the scales sparkled like tiny, green emeralds.

"Hello, Nora," she greeted in a soft, melodious voice and flashed a dazzling smile.

"Hello, Ariel," I answered her and sighed with a smile.

"Why are you so sullen? Isn't it fun to hang out and have fun with the boys?" she asked too carefully.

"I'm not happy at all," I frowned as if I had just put a lemon in my mouth.

"After all, you yourself wanted to live in Neverland. Everyone is just talking about how you begged Peter to bring you here," the mermaid observed.

"I was hoping to have a carefree life here and not think about my life in the real world anymore. And now..." I wiped the traitorous tears rolling down my cheeks. "He told me that all boys forget about their parents. And I... Why don't I forget them?"

"Perhaps only boys can do it," Arielle guessed in between, shrugging her shoulders.

"So why can't girls too?"

"Wow," before she could answer my question, Ariel gasped and suddenly started moving back into the ocean.

"Where are you swimming?"

"I swim away from what I don't want to see," and my beautiful mermaid friend disappeared into the deep and dark ocean.

Suddenly I saw Peter Pan next to me. He stood and looked at me with a somewhat mocking smile, but it seemed that he was waiting for something surprising from me. Undeterred, I stood up and dramatically turned around to start walking towards my little house, which I had found myself right after being brought here by this ugly boy.

Peter Pan and I haven't been getting along very well lately, so I can't stop being mad at him.

Peter began to pace after me, and before long he was matching my little girlish steps.

"What is it, Peter? What do you want this time?" I asked and stopped. I glared at him.

"I just thought we would have a nice talk. But as I see, you are still not in the mood for it. Just like every day since you've been on this island," he retorted sternly and pursed his lips tightly. There was a hint of hurt in his voice. As if I had done something bad to him. "I liked you better when you lived with your parents and when I visited you at night."

"What did you say, Peter?" I came closer to him. Our faces were so close at this moment. Just an inch. I was free to kiss him, and he even froze from being so close. I could no longer hear his breathing. "Who possessed him? If you can't talk to me here, if you liked me better when I lived with my parents, then why don't you let me go? Why do you keep me here? What? Say it!"

"Because it's necessary," he answered quietly and looked into my eyes intently, and then exhaled the air he had been holding all this time until now. "Don't ask why. You still won't get an answer. No one leaves here without my permission. You know what the rules are. And if you try to escape from here, I will always find you, wherever you hide. And I will bring you back to this island. And then don't wait for my grace."