Tell me, will I find myself again?

Sunlight dappled through the canopy of leaves, creating a painting of light and shadow on the weathered wooden bench. Two brown paper grocery bags sat forgotten on the ground beside it, their contents spilling out, a forgotten loaf of bread leaned against a pack of eggs. Macau slumped on the bench, his knees pulled tight to his chest. His abrupt meltdown at the cafeteria replayed, enough to haunt and embarrass him.

Pete sat beside him, a concerned frown creasing his brow. He didn't speak at first, just reached out and placed a comforting hand on Macau's back. The silence stretched, punctuated only by the chirping of unseen birds. Finally, Pete spoke, his voice gentle.

"Hey, do you want to talk about it?"

Macau remained silent for a moment, his chin resting on his knees. A single tear escaped, tracing a glistening path down his cheek. He sniffed, wiping it away with a hasty swipe of his sleeve.

"It's stupid khun," he mumbled, his voice thick with emotion.

"It's not stupid, Macau. Whatever it is, it matters to you." Pete squeezed his student's back, a silent offer of support.

Macau took a shaky breath. "It's about my ma. She passed away a few months back."

"I messed up," Macau continued, his voice cracking. "I said something stupid to hia out of anger, and I didn't mean to but I've hurt him deeply."

He kicked at a fallen leaf with his toe, frustration lacing his movements. "I don't know what to do, khun. I feel like an idiot." Tears slowly streamed down his cheek once more.

A warm smile softened Pete's features as he proceeded, "You're not an idiot, Macau. We all say stupid things sometimes, especially with our family because we know they are ours. It's about learning from it."

"I blamed him for our mom's departure, khun. I mean he probably would not even look at me anymore," he voiced out as he further broke down next to his professor for the second time.

Pete reached out to engulf Macau in his warm embrace while stroking his back softly in attempts to calm the young man. For a second, Vegas' image of the previous night flashed through his mind as worry filled him for his – yes, his lover. A cracked sob from Macau diverted his attention back to his student.

As Macau's sobs slowed down, Pete reached into his pocket and pulled out a worn leather keychain, a silver charm dangling from it. He placed it into the younger's palm as he spoke, "Apologize to him with a hug when you see him again. The next time you have negative feelings, hear the sounds of the charm on this keychain."

Macau looked up, a flicker of surprise in his eyes. "But it will not solve anything..."

"It won't solve the problem which I'm assuming is beyond what you have shared," Pete continued, a small smile escaping his lips. "But guess what? It will shorten the distance between the two of you. You both are each other's family, don't let venomous words spit in the heat of the moment, break you guys apart. It is never worth it."

Macau gave a small, watery smile. He remembered the humiliation, the anger and the pain that has been following him for a while. But he also remembered how Vegas had been there for him all his life, sacrificing himself for Macau, perhaps even more than ma.

"So," Pete ruffled Macau's hair, "what do you say? Ready to apologize to your brother. I've always mentioned this in class, your words paint your canvas inside other's mind, choose the colors wisely. Don't let the distance grow and keep that keychain safe."

A genuine smile broke through Macau's dejection. "Thank you so much khun Pete," he said, wiping his eyes.

"Don't mention it, please reach out to me without any hesitation. Take care of yourself," Pete hugged the boy once more before bidding goodbyes and splitting paths.