Twenty - Three

The sunlight followed them inside the hallway. Amelia then closed the door and they both walked slowly down the hallway but Lou couldn't help but tiptoe even though she knew nobody was home. She had seen this house so many times when she was married to Ryan.

They then moved to the stairs glancing into the living room. There was a thump upstairs and that's when Lou froze and Amelia grabbed her hand. Lou then looked back at the door, could they make it in time?"

The cat then ran down the stairs and stopped halfway in their direction.

"Lou, I forgot my parents had a cat and I hate cats."

"Come on" she said to Amelia.

When they were upstairs Lou looked at the back bedroom and she couldn't work out if it was Ryan's or not. Amelia tapped Lou on the shoulder and pointed to the room which was the only one with the door closed. They walked over and opened the door and Sophie Brooks must still clean his room. She looked back at Amelia and by the look on her face their is another room just like this at Amelia's house.

"Ready?" Amelia whispered.

She nodded.

Amelia opened the wardrobe at one end of the rail was Ryan's old uniform he wore to secondary school before he met Lou. Lou then pulled out her phone and put the torch on and she got down on her knees whilst Amelia was beside her.

They noticed a small plastic box and Lou searched it.

It was empty. No phone. No money and no drug stash. Nothing.

"It's not here" Amelia said.

"I really thought it would be here" she said.

Lou did too they then closed the wardrobe and she stood up and turned to Amelia.

"Where could the phone be then?"

"Maybe Ryan had it on him when he died?" Lou said.

Amelia pulled Lou into the wardrobe and shut the doors.

"Hello, Blu" a voice carried through the house and it was Venessa.

Lou felt Amelia shaking beside her and right through into her bones she then took Amelia's hand and held it. They heard Venessa on the stairs getting louder with each step.

"Ah that's where I left them" she said and the footsteps paused on the landing.

Lou then squeezed Amelia's hand hoping she could feel how sorry she was.

"Blu have you been in here?" Venessa's voice drew nearer.

Amelia closed her eyes.

"You know you aren't supposed to be in this room."

Lou then buried her face into Amelia's shoulder.

Venessa was in the room near them now and they could hear her breathing and then Ryan's bedroom door was closed.

"Bye, Blu" Venessa said to the cat.

Amelia opened her eyes slowly squeezing Lou's hand back but the front door slammed again.