XXXIX. The Visit of the Stranger

The departure of Harwin Strong left a big gap in the hearts of those who cared for him and loved him. It was said that from the day he bid his goodbye to the royal family, joy and smiles disappeared from their faces.

Some took it more personally than most, with Rhaenyra finding the departure the heaviest of all. She had loved this man for years, she bore his children, and she was genuinely happy. All that happened with Sir Cole, with the forced wedding... everything was forgotten.

Everything was so much brighter and better when he was present in her life.

And now, just like everyone else that she grew attached to... he was gone.

Not long after he arrived at Harrenhal, a mysterious fire claimed his life, taking him down along with his father and a few servants. The news reached the Red Keep in record time, only worsening the situation they were currently in.

It was one thing to have him alive, and simply far away, always a chance to visit him and a fully different thing only to be able to see his grave... a grave that Rhaenyra could not truly attend, and Naelys had no courage to do so.

She had lost a very close friend, a companion that just days ago was still alive... just days ago, she had laughed with him, she had held his hand, and now... she could no longer do that.

It had been so long since she suffered a loss that someone might wonder if she had forgotten the feeling that came with grief... but she didn't. She never could, no matter the joys that existed around her and the love her family would show her.

Perhaps it was her character or her history of losses, but Naelys did not show any direct grief. She was allowed to mourn but did not take it, merely wearing black just for appearances.

She knew Harwin would not want her to do that, always saying black was a depressing colour.

She was given the chance to visit Harrenhal and be there for the funeral of her husband, but she could not. While the trip would be quick with Nissera, she did not have the power to do it. How could she go there, play it a 'loyal wife' and stare at the burnt body of her good friend?

Naelys could not do such things, and she did not want to. People could comment all they wanted, but this was her, and she was not going to change for anyone. Harwin truly admired this about her, having reminded her quite often over the passing years.

What she could do was go for a long dragon ride to clear her head, which she did.

Flying on top of Nissera, she let the She-Dragon chart their course above the blue waters. She did not have to say anything, her loyal companion sharing her grief as her own, and all the dragon could do was often crane her neck and check on her rider to ensure she was okay.

Naelys looked at the setting sun, marking a day's end. The orange shade that contrasted with the sky's red, yellow, and pink was a sight to behold, and it was one she often talked to Harwin about. She promised to take him for a ride one day, but the chance never came.

Away from prying eyes, away from gossip and judging looks, Naelys let a few tears escape and let the wind gently take them away from her cheeks. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Good times of her and Harwin flashed into her mind.

She could still remember his hesitation when he first approached Nissera and the fear on his face when Naelys joked that he should come for a ride.

She could still remember his proud smirk when she managed to disarm him during training and his comforting words when she thought she was failing Rhaenyra and the children.

Naelys remembered the first time he held young Jace in his arms, his eyes so close to watering from his intense emotions.

She remembered the first time they met... when he dared to approach her secretly, wishing to get to know her through sparring.