53

Hani

“You must be the new trollop,” Seoyeon said.

“And you must be the cavalry coming to save Princess Hani from the She Beast,” Mina guessed.

I laughed into my wine. “Seoyeon, this is Mina. Mina is the original Seungcheol ex-girlfriend. Seoyeon is an overprotective librarian with great hair.” I pointed down the bar. “And that’s Vernon our bartender."

Seoyeon took the stool next to me, and before her butt had gotten comfortable, Vernon appeared. “You date the same guy too?” he asked.

She rested her chin in her hand. “No, Vernon, I did not. I’m just here for moral support.”

“You wanna drink while you morally support?”

“Sure do. How’s your Bloody Mary?”

“Spicy as fuck.”

“I’ll take a Bloody Mary and a round of Fireball.”

Vernon saluted and wandered off to make the drinks.

One of the men at the pool table closest to us ambled over. He wore a leather jacket and sunglasses despite the relatively cold and dull weather. “Buy you bitches a drink?”

We swiveled on our stools as one.

“No, thank you,” I said.

“Fuck off,” Mina replied with a mean smile.

“If you think referring to us as ‘bitches’ is going to get you invited into the conversation, let alone one of our beds, you’re about to be deeply disappointed,” Seoyeon said.

“Move along!" Vernon told him without looking up from the quart of vodka he was pouring into Seoyeon's glass.

My phone buzzed on the bar, and I glanced down.

Seungcheol: That wasn’t what it looked like. I’m not seeing Mina.

Seungcheol: Not that it’s any of your business.

Seungcheol: Fuck. At least text me back and tell me where you are.

For someone who was done with me, he sure texted a whole heck of a lot.

Me: It’s this awesome place called None of Your Business. Stop. Texting. Me.

I slid my phone over to Seoyeon. “Here. You’re in charge of this.”

Mina held up her phone to show us a text.

Seungcheol: Where the fuck did you take her?

“See?” she said. “Fear.”

“I don’t think I’m going back to work today,” I said.

“Hey, Mimi's hanging out at the museum in the next city with Nina and her parents. There’s no better way to spend a fall Saturday than getting blitzed.”

"Mimi?" Mina asked.

“My niece.”

“The niece Hani didn’t know about because her estranged twin sister sucks,” Seoyeon added. She twirled the tip of her braid around her fingers and stared blankly at the football game on the screen.

“Are you okay?” I asked her.

“I’m fine. I’m just sick of men.”

“That's so true, sister.” I said, raising my glass at her. “You know, with this whole guardianship, maybe it’s just better to focus on being a parent figure and forget about being a woman with…”