57

Seungcheol

“What the hell did you do with Hani?” Seungkwan demanded, waving his lollipop in my face when I hit the bar floor.

I noticed Hani's parents were gone, and their table had been turned over.

“I talked to her. Nicely,” I said when his eyes narrowed. “Why?”

“Couldn’t have been that nice since all her tables are getting restless with empty drinks.”

I peered over his shoulder, doing what I always did, looking for Hani.

But Seungkwan was right. She wasn’t there.

“If you chased her off in the middle of a shift—”

“I didn’t chase her off. We talked. It was good. We’re good. Did you check the bathroom?”

“Now, gee, why didn’t I think of that?” Seungkwan said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Did you ask him what the hell he did with Hani?” Yunjin asked as she buzzed by.

Something cold settled in my gut. Ignoring my employees, I pushed through the doors into the kitchen. “Hani in here?”

Soobin looked up from the chicken he was grilling and tilted his head toward the door to the parking lot. “She went out a couple minutes ago to make a call. She looked upset. Did you say something mean to her again?”

I didn’t bother answering. Instead I went straight for the door and shoved it open. Seungkwan was on my heels. The night air had a crisp bite to it that did nothing to thaw the icy fear inside me. There was no sign of Hani.

“Fuck.” I did not have a good feeling about this.

“She’s probably just getting some fresh air since you broke her heart and then embarrassed her in front of half the town,” Seungkwan guessed, scanning the lot with me. But he didn’t sound sure either.

“I don’t like this,” I muttered. “Hani!” But there was no response.

“Hani! Seungcheol is sorry for being an ass!” Seungkwan shouted into the night next to me.

Nothing.

My phone vibrated in my pocket, and I yanked it out.

Jeonghan.

“What?”

“Just a heads-up. I’m on my way to Jennie's. She said Mimi's gone. She took your dog out for a pee break, and neither one of them came back.”

The ice in my gut turned into an iceberg.

“How long ago?”

“About forty minutes. Jennie went out looking for them. Thinks she saw tail lights heading for the road. She said she tried to call Hani, but she’s not picking up her phone. I tried too and got voicemail. I’m sure it’s nothing, but I need you to tell Hani."

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

My heart was hitting like a damn bass drum.

“Hani stepped out to make a call, and no one’s seen her since. I’m standing in the parking lot, and she’s not here.”

“Oh God."

“I don’t like this,” I said, dragging a hand through my hair. “I’m gonna go look for them.”

“Do me a favor first and call Hani's parents. I’m gonna get Jennie and have some of my guys do a sweep of the woods.”

“She’s not gonna be there,” I told him.