54

“This can’t be a coincidence,” I observed.

“Seungcheol called the cops,” Minghao said, nodding at Jeonghan. “And the cops called me.”

Jeonghan skimmed me with a look. “You all right?”

“I’m fine. Why are you here?”

Jeonghan blew out a breath, his gaze moving on to Mina. She arched an eyebrow at him.

“We’re babysitting,” he said finally.

My mouth dropped open. “We don’t need babysitters. Especially not babysitters who are just going to report everything we say back to Seungcheol."

“I hate to point out the obvious, but given everything that’s happened, I don’t think you should be out unprotected like this,” Jeonghan said.

“Who said I’m unprotected? Mina just nearly pierced a man’s sternum with her stilettos,” I complained. “How did you find us?”

“I wouldn’t worry about that,” Minghao said without looking away from Seoyeon, who was glaring at him like he was Satan incarnate.

“You..look so dang familiar.” Mina said, resting her elbows on the bar and giving Jeonghan a head-to-toe sweep.

“Mina, this is Jeonghan. Seungcheol's adopted brother,” I said.

“On that note, I think I’ll be heading home,” Seoyeon said, sliding off her stool. She didn’t get far. Minghao stepped in on her, trapping her between the bar and his body without touching her.

She tilted her head all the way back to look up at him.

She was a foot shorter than the man, but that didn’t stop Seoyeon from shooting ninja throwing stars out of her eyeballs.

“You’ll stay,” he insisted darkly.

“I’m going,” she argued.

“I count three empty glasses on the bar in front of you. You’ll stay.”

“I’ll call an uber. Now get out of my way before I make you sing soprano.”

Mina gave up ogling Jeonghan and leaned over my shoulder. “Okay. What’s their story?”

“I don’t know. They won’t tell anyone.”

“Ooooh. I love a torrid secret past,” she said.

“We can hear you,” Seoyeon said dryly without breaking her sexy staring contest with Minghao.

“We’re all friends here,” I began.

“No, we’re not,” Minghao insisted.

Seoyeon's eyes blazed, making her look like a fiery pixie about to commit a homicide. “Finally. Something we agree on.”

My phone vibrated at Seoyeon's elbow. Seconds later, Mina's phone signaled a text. Jeonghan and Minghao both reached for their pockets at the same time.

“For someone who doesn’t care about you, Seungcheol sure seems concerned about how you’re doing,” Mina said, holding up her phone again.

“And what you’re saying about him,” Minghao said with a smirk.

I shook my head. “I think I’m gonna share that ride with Seoyeon."

“No!” Mina grabbed my hand and squeezed. “Don’t give him the satisfaction of ruining your day. Stay. We’ll get more drinks. Talk more shit. And everyone who stays has to swear a blood oath they won’t report back to Seungcheol."

“I’m not staying if he’s staying,” Seoyeon said, shooting a murderous look at Minghao.

“And the only way you’re leaving is in my car, so sit down and order some food,” Minghao ordered.