59

Seungcheol

I hit him low and hard, driving his body into the floor. Some part of me was aware of Hani crumpling to the ground.

I needed to go to her. But I couldn’t stop hitting the man beneath me.

My fist plowed into his face again and again until someone hooked me from behind and pulled me back.

“Enough,” Minghao said.

Kwon Soonyoung ceased to exist to me.

There was only Hani and Mimi. Mimi knelt next to her, holding her hand to her chest. The tears welling in her brown eyes knifed into my gut.

“Wake up, Aunt Hani,” she whispered.

I closed the distance and grabbed Mimi, hugging her to me.

“Make her wake up, Cheol” she begged.

Minghao was on his phone, holding his fingers to Hani's bruised neck.

“We need an ambulance,” he said tersely.

Still clutching Mimi to me, I leaned over Hani and cupped the face of the woman I loved. The woman I’d lost. The woman I couldn’t live without.

“Wake up, Rose,” I muttered. My eyes and throat burned. My vision blurred as hot tears clouded everything.

I almost missed it. The flicker of those long lashes. Then I was sure it was a hallucination when those beautiful hazel eyes opened.

“Water,” she croaked.

I loved this woman.

Mimi tensed against me, her arm nearly choking me around the neck.

“You didn’t leave me!”

“Thank God,” Minghao whispered, swiping the back of his hand over his brow and collapsing back on his elbows on the floor.

“Of course I didn’t leave you,” Hani rasped. The bruises on her throat made me want to end the life of the man who’d put them there. But I had a more important priority.

“Welcome back, Rose,” I whispered. I leaned down and pressed my mouth to her cheek, breathing her in.

“Cheol,” she sighed. “You came.”

Before I could answer, the side door I’d used to sneak in while Minghao created the distraction burst open. I saw the gun and the gleam in the man’s eyes and knew what was about to happen. Operating on instinct, I pulled Mimi to my front and used my body to pin her and Hani to the ground.

Two shots rang out in rapid succession, but I felt nothing. No pain. Just my girls, warm and alive beneath me.

I chanced a glance up and saw the gunman on the floor.

“You idiots,” Jeonghan said, leaning against the wall. He had a cut on his face, blood on his t-shirt, and was sweating profusely.

“You did that right-handed?” Minghao asked, impressed.

My brother flicked him off as he slid down the wall. “I told you idiots I’m fucking good at my job.”

“Are we alive?” Mimi asked under me.

“We’re alive, honey,” Hani assured her.

Carefully, I eased my weight off them. They both stared up at me with identical grins. I pointed at Mimi. “You’re gettin’ a birthday party. And after that, we’re gettin’ married,” I told Hani.

Hani’s eyes went wide, and she reached for me, hands frantically prodding my torso.

“What’s wrong, baby?”