Chapter 12

Leonardo's POV

As soon as I cut Stefano's call, I notice Dante staring at me. I return his gaze.

"What?"

"You invited a stranger, and that to a woman, into your mansion," Dante says.

"We need to keep an eye on her. Stefano mentioned she was urging him to tell everything to the cops." I can't afford any political mess right now.

"We can keep an eye on her while she lives in her own house."

"I know she pissed you off."

"She's merely a café owner, not worthy of my anger." If I hadn't known Dante since childhood, I'd think he was the most arrogant man alive.

"She was attacked again today."

"What?" Dante's expression shifts to concern. After that shootout at the factory, we've all been on high alert.

"Stefano said her café was destroyed. The cops concluded it was a robbery, but it didn't seem like that to him."

"I don't think Boris is behind this."

"Still, we have to ensure those girls' safety." I pause for a second, opening my laptop. We returned to the company almost an hour ago after Dante received a call from the cops saying they found the driver from yesterday's accident.

"I'll head back to the factory."

"Yes, and give me an update on the other three girls."

"Noah is tracking them down. I told him to report directly to you."

A loud knock on my office door interrupts us, and Noah walks in without waiting for permission. This boy really needs to go back to school for some manners.

"Ever heard the phrase, 'speak of the devil, and the devil appears'?" Dante says, looking at Noah.

Noah looks confused, glancing between me and Dante. "Is he talking about me?"

Dante sighs. "I'll take my leave." He bows his head slightly, and I nod in acknowledgment.

Noah stands across the table. "The girls are safe. Two of them have reached their homes and are with their families. One is on the way, and—"

"The fourth one got attacked," I finish his sentence.

He looks at me in shock. "How did you... Stefano," he whispers, but loud enough for me to hear. "We need to arrange a safe house for this girl. According to those men we found yesterday, Boris was interested in her, and now he's out there, aware of us." Frustration is evident in his voice.

We didn't expect Boris to show up with so many armed men. It was a huge mess. We closed the factory as soon as everything was cleared and gave all the workers and employees a holiday. Yesterday's accident provided the perfect excuse. The blast was massive; it affected the factory goods. My mind flies back to the woman who looked into my eyes straight, that stare which made me react.

"Did you bring what I asked for?" I ask, snapping out of my thoughts.

Noah hands me a pen drive. "There are 52 CCTV cameras, but none capture the inside of the factory. Because of the power cut, there's nothing of significance. If you tell me what exactly you're looking for, I might be able to track it."

"Go back to the mansion." I don't want anyone else getting involved. I'm still unsure if the woman I saw yesterday was one of the kidnapped girls or someone working with the enemy—the only woman, the only person who managed to pull a gun on me. An unnecessary smirk forms on my lips, and Noah looks at me, confused.