Chapter Twelve

Anakin awoke with a start, his breath heavy and his heart pounding in his chest. The dream lingered in his mind, vivid and unsettling. He could still feel the weight of the title—Angel of Death—pressing down on him. He sat up in his bedroll, the morning light filtering through the trees, casting long shadows across the camp.

The others were already stirring, preparing for the day ahead. Belle was tending to the fire, the smell of breakfast wafting through the air, while Dexter sat sharpening his blade, his face set in a focused expression. Anakin knew it was time to discuss their next move, to confront the next Sin.

He stood and walked over to the center of the camp, where the rest of the group gathered. They all looked up as he approached, sensing the gravity in his demeanor.

“We need to talk about the next Sin,” Anakin began, his voice steady despite the unease still gnawing at him from the dream. “The Sin of Sloth.”

Dexter nodded, sheathing his blade. “From what we’ve gathered, Sloth’s domain will be a challenge. It won’t be a fight of raw power like Greed or Wrath. Sloth works differently—through lethargy, exhaustion, and a kind of apathy that can break even the strongest will.”

Belle glanced at Anakin, her eyes filled with concern. “We’ll need to be on guard, both mentally and physically. Sloth could drain our energy, our motivation. We can’t afford to let that happen.”

Anakin nodded, taking in their words. The dream was still fresh in his mind, reminding him of the stakes. “We have to stay sharp, keep moving no matter what. If we let our guard down, even for a moment, Sloth will take advantage.”

Dexter continued, his tone somber. “And without Joshua, we’ll have to rely on each other even more. We’ve lost a lot, but we can’t let that slow us down.”

Anakin felt the weight of Dexter's words. The loss of his father was still a fresh wound, but he knew that lingering on it would only make him vulnerable. “Joshua wouldn’t want us to give up. We have to keep going, for him, and for everyone else who’s counting on us.”

Belle placed a hand on Anakin’s arm, a silent gesture of support. “We’ll get through this together, Anakin. We won’t let Sloth take us down.”

Anakin looked around at his team, feeling a surge of resolve. Despite the doubts that lingered in his mind, he knew they had to keep going, to face whatever Sloth had in store. The dream had shaken him, but it had also reminded him of what was at stake—the lives of those he cared about, and the fate of the world.

“Let’s finish breakfast and gather our things,” Anakin said, his tone firm. “We’ll move out as soon as we’re ready. We need to stay vigilant and keep our spirits high. Sloth won’t break us.”

The others nodded in agreement, and the camp fell into a determined silence as they prepared for the journey ahead.

As Anakin sat sharpening his blade under the canopy of a tall, ancient tree, the rhythmic sound of metal against stone was the only noise in the quiet forest. His thoughts were heavy, burdened by the weight of the battles they had fought and the ones yet to come. The memory of his father's death still haunted him, and the title "Angel of Death" lingered ominously in his mind.

Lost in thought, he didn’t notice Belle approaching until she was almost beside him. She hesitated for a moment, observing the way the sun filtered through the leaves, casting a golden light on Anakin’s focused expression. Finally, she took a seat next to him on the cool, mossy ground.

"You always find the quietest spots," Belle said softly, breaking the silence.

Anakin glanced at her, the stern look on his face softening slightly. "It helps me think," he replied, continuing to sharpen his sword. "Too much has happened... too much is going to happen."

Belle watched him for a moment, then reached out, gently placing her hand over his. "You don’t have to carry it all alone, Anakin."

Anakin stopped, his hand stilling under hers. The closeness of her touch, the warmth of her presence, brought a comfort he hadn’t realized he needed. He looked at her, seeing the concern in her eyes, and for a brief moment, the burdens he carried seemed lighter.

“I know,” he whispered, his voice almost breaking. “But sometimes it feels like I do.”

Belle shifted closer, her shoulder brushing against his. “You’re not alone, Anakin. Not now, not ever. We’re in this together, all of us. And I... I’m here for you, always.”

Anakin felt a rush of emotions, the walls he had built around himself beginning to crumble. He turned to face her fully, their faces inches apart. The moment hung in the air, charged with the unspoken connection that had been growing between them.

Without thinking, Anakin leaned in, his lips brushing against hers. It was a tender, tentative kiss, filled with the promise of something more. Belle responded, her hand moving to rest on his cheek as she kissed him back, the world around them fading away.

When they finally pulled apart, their foreheads rested against each other, breaths mingling in the cool forest air. Anakin’s heart raced, but for the first time in a long while, it wasn’t out of fear or anger—it was something else, something he was still learning to understand.

“I...” Anakin began, searching for the right words. “I’m glad you’re here, Belle. I don’t think I could do this without you.”

Belle smiled softly, her eyes bright with unshed tears. “You won’t have to.”

For a moment, they simply sat there, savoring the closeness, the peace that was so rare in their world. Eventually, Belle pulled back slightly, her hand still resting on his cheek. “We should get back, the others will start to worry.”

Anakin nodded, though part of him wished they could stay in this moment forever. He stood up, offering her a hand to help her to her feet.

As Anakin and Belle walked back to camp, a new sense of unity and resolve filled the air between them. The forest seemed to welcome their return, the trees whispering softly as they passed.

When they arrived at camp, the team was already up and preparing for the day. Dexter and the others were busy organizing supplies, and the crackling fire was a welcome sight.

Anakin and Belle joined the group, their shared moment having deepened their bond. Belle gave Anakin’s hand a reassuring squeeze before letting go and joining Dexter at the campfire. Anakin took a deep breath, feeling more centered than he had in a long time.

Dexter glanced up, noting the change in Anakin’s demeanor. "Everything okay?" he asked, his tone curious but not intrusive.

“Yeah,” Anakin replied, nodding. “Just needed some time to clear my head.”

Dexter nodded, clearly accepting that answer. “We’ve got a plan for the Sin of Sloth. We’ll need to be ready for anything. This one might be tricky.”

Belle looked up from her task, a thoughtful expression on her face. “Sloth could be hiding in a place where time stands still or where people are trapped in their own inertia. We’ll need to be vigilant.”

The team gathered around the campfire, discussing their plan in detail. Anakin’s thoughts were more focused, driven by the renewed strength he felt from his recent moments with Belle.

As the sun began to set, casting a warm glow over the camp, the conversation turned to lighter topics. Dexter and Belle shared stories from their past, trying to lift the group’s spirits. Anakin listened, occasionally joining in with a comment or two.

When the time came to rest, Anakin and Belle shared a brief but warm look before heading to their respective sleeping spots. The night passed quietly, the campfire’s glow fading as they drifted off to sleep, each with their own thoughts and dreams.

The following morning, the team prepared for the journey to confront the Sin of Sloth. Anakin, with a renewed sense of purpose and strength from his bond with Belle, felt ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead. The connection between them had become a source of hope and determination, guiding him through the trials to come.