Old Faces

This chapter does contain potentially offensive lyrics from a song I chose for a scene in this chapter so just fyi. Idk if you guys care about this stuff or not but...yeah, there's the warning. Please enjoy and lmk what you think!

---------

--------------------

--------------------------

------

Isaac's eyes opened slowly. Memories of running with his daughter filled his mind as a smile grew on his face. He was still having trouble coming to terms with it, finding it impossible that he was even in this situation. For some reason, Isaac felt nervous at first. The time spent apart would serve as a wall, and they would need to find a way to tear it down before connecting again.

But he couldn't have been happier to be proven wrong. It was like the two hadn't had been separated for so long. Apart from the difference in Lily's appearance, she was still the same little girl he had taken care of all those years ago.

With a smile, he sat up until he noticed he wasn't in his bedroom, let alone his apartment. Instead, he was somewhere else. As he looked out, he could see nothing but an endless void of nothingness.

"Well, shit...Thought I had seen the last of you," Isaac said as he turned around, looking with a glare at the shadowy version of himself. The dark red eyes he once sported were replaced with a more natural look.

"I am part of you, so it's only natural. Don't tell me you missed me?" Isaac scoffed at the figure, causing the shadow to let out a laugh. "I see you have reunited with our daughter. How is she doing?" Isaac didn't plan on replying, but he couldn't help but notice a glimmer of hope in the figure's eyes. It wasn't easy to decipher what it meant, but there was a hint of optimism there.

"Lily is...good. She's finally back, safe and sound, and I couldn't be happier." Isaac explained, causing the corner of the figure's mouth to turn up slightly before quickly vanishing.

"I see..." was all the shadowy construct said.

"So, why did you bring me here? Wanted to show me more images of the people I love dying?" The last time he was in this...realm, he had been shown images of both Dianna and Dinah dying with Isaac holding the blade. An image that still haunts him.

The figure chuckled darkly before speaking, "No, nothing like that, I assure you. I'm here to give you a...reminder of sorts." The figure shifted into a perfect copy of Isaac; the copy expertly mirrored every detail of him. However, the copy quickly transforms into a depiction of Isaac's appearance when his craving for a fight becomes uncontrollable.

"Your control over your abilities is continuing to slip; I'd wager it won't be soon until someone takes notice and discovers your secret." Isaacs narrowed at the figure. "Don't look at me like, after all, I'm the only thing keeping us from total insanity."

"Why don't you skip to the part where you tell me what you want?"

The figure smiled; the grin was crooked and filled with malice. "What I've always wanted from you, Isaac...control. You pretend to be a hero, a teacher, a lover, and now you're trying to be a father. But I know what you really are, Isaac. What you could be again." The voice murmured softly in his ears, like a tune that gets stuck on repeat in your head.

"Well, you can go ahead and try because I ain't giving you a damn thing!"

"Boast all you like, Isaac! Ultimately, I will take control; whether willingly or forced, I will make myself known and become what they always wanted us to be."