Chapter 23

SASHA

The elevator came to a stop and I stepped out, my legs feeling sluggish as I slowly walked toward my desk as if I was going to the slaughter.

As I reached it, I put my things on the desk, my eyes immediately going to the door of Stefan's office. They were closed and there was no sound coming from the room, still, I walked toward it and went in.

It was empty.

I walked toward his desk and sat in his chair, leaning my head against the headrest as I looked around.

There were a few papers strewn across the desk, folders, and files neatly stacked in the left corner, and a single photo sat on the right, placed in such a way that you could not see it unless you sat right where I was currently sitting.

I snorted as my eyes fell on Stefan's smiling face, his arm tossed around David's waist while Leo sat on his shoulders, holding on to his hair with a huge smile on his lovely face.

I shook my head as I took the photo, my finger gently caressing Stefan's face. He looked so handsome in the photo, so happy. God I missed him.

I put the photo back in its place as I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself as I felt another set of tears coming even though I thought I had no tears left after the night I had had.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed Stefan's number but my call went straight to voicemail. Again.

I shook my head, staring at the device as if it had offended me before deciding to just go and get some work done since I would not accomplish anything sitting in his empty office, wallowing in self-pity.

So I did just that, losing myself in manuscripts I had received while in Moscow until noon. But as the time for lunch came and Stefan still hadn't, I took my phone and tried him again, to no avail.

And as I sat there a sudden thought occurred to me. Maybe he wouldn't. Maybe he didn't want to because I was here.

It hurt, the thought. But I couldn't blame him if it was true. It must have been awful finding out that your new boyfriend is the brother of your ex. And not just any ex but one that left you and hurt you if what Misha had told me last night was true.

And I suspected that it was by the way Stefan had reacted when he found out.

So, as I sat there I decided to make it easier for him. I picked up the phone again and once the beep came I said,

"Hey. I know you don't want to talk and I respect that. I'm just calling to let you know that I... I won't be coming back to the office anymore. I'll send someone to pick up my stuff in a few days. I... I'm sorry it had to end like this. Goodbye."

I ended the call, my eyes burning. I looked around the office and could see that some of my coworkers had heard me, making me blush in embarrassment at having witnesses to my heartbreak.

Even Mary, the office grump who had hated me since the moment I stepped into this company, looked at me sadly, and I guess that was the breaking point.

I stood up, took my bag, and walked out, uncaring as the office phone rang behind me.

I was done.

*

STEFAN

I groaned as I came to, my head pulsing every time I so much as tried to open my eyes, making me regret all the decisions that had brought me to this moment right now.