Chapter 13: Zabuza and Haku

On the second day of his capture, Aoi found himself in a different kind of training session. This time, it wasn't Zabuza's brutal combat drills that left him battered and bruised; instead, it was Haku's gentle yet focused instruction on mastering the ice chakra that flowed within him. Haku, with his calm demeanor and careful guidance, led Aoi through a series of exercises designed to help him separate and control his ice chakra from his regular one.

They started with simple tasks—freezing individual leaves, then the ground beneath them, and finally, a small pool of water. Aoi's progress was swift, his natural affinity for the element becoming more apparent with each passing moment. As the day went on, Haku introduced more complex techniques, like creating ice itself. This required Aoi to simultaneously harness both wind and water chakra, a task that was challenging but within his grasp with Haku's demonstrations.

By the time the sun dipped below the horizon, Aoi had managed to create delicate ice crystals and snowflakes, mastering the control needed to wield his new abilities with precision. Haku was an excellent teacher, his patient explanations and demonstrations helping Aoi understand the nuances of his newfound powers. Aoi enjoyed training with Haku—there was a warmth to it, a sense of camaraderie that contrasted sharply with the harsh, unyielding methods of Zabuza. But deep down, Aoi couldn't help but enjoy Zabuza's training regime, as it allowed him to let loose.

The third day, however, was a return to Zabuza's ruthlessness. The day mirrored the brutality of the first, filled with relentless sparring that left Aoi aching and exhausted. Zabuza seemed intent on pushing Aoi to his limits, goading him into anger and pain to draw out the beast within. But today, Zabuza held back just a little; he had a fight of his own to prepare for the next day, and while he relished the challenge Aoi presented, he couldn't afford to be too injured when the time came.

When Zabuza wasn't around, Haku would spoil Aoi with treats and affection, scratching behind his ears and speaking to him softly. It was in these moments that Aoi saw the true nature of Haku—innocent, kind-hearted, and gentle. Aoi felt a growing protective instinct towards Haku, a desire to shield him from the harshness of the world, even if it meant standing against those he once considered friends. As conflicted as he was, Aoi couldn't deny that he was starting to care deeply for Haku.

"Tomorrow morning, be ready, Haku, Aoi," Zabuza commanded, his voice gruff but tinged with an unspoken anticipation. Haku nodded, and Aoi understood that the time had come. Though Haku had given him a name, coincidentally "Aoi," Zabuza preferred to call him "little puppy," a nickname that infuriated Aoi to no end.

---

The next morning arrived sooner than Aoi would have liked. The air was crisp, and the forest around them was eerily quiet as they made their way toward the bridge where Tazuna was working. Aoi walked alongside Zabuza, his steps heavy with reluctance. He didn't want to be there, didn't want to be part of this, but the chain around his neck and Zabuza's unyielding grip reminded him that he had no choice.

As they neared their destination, Zabuza halted abruptly, his sharp eyes scanning the area. Haku disappeared into the shadows, moving with a silent grace that Aoi admired. Meanwhile, Zabuza remained still, poised, ready. Aoi stayed by his side, his body tense, every muscle coiled like a spring. From their vantage point in the trees, they spotted Team 7 below, guarding Tazuna as he worked on the bridge.

"I see... ninjas at the same level as the Demon Brothers can't handle this," Zabuza murmured, his voice low and dangerous. "Hidden Leaf's Copy Ninja, Kakashi the Sharingan user, is here."

Without another word, Zabuza hurled his massive sword, Kubikiribocho, towards the group below. The blade cut through the air with lethal precision, and Aoi heard Kakashi's voice shout, "Everyone, duck!"