Chapter 1 Arrival and encounters

Dua peered out of the airplane window, her heart fluttering with excitement as the plane descended towards Mumbai. The familiar sight of the sprawling city below brought a wave of nostalgia that she had come to cherish over the years. Mumbai, with its blend of vibrant energy and dusty nostalgia, was a place that held countless memories for her.

The cityscape unfolded beneath her like a living tapestry. The once bright yellow buildings, now dulled by time and weather, intermingled with sleek, modern skyscrapers. Patches of greenery punctuated the urban sprawl, offering a touch of nature amidst the concrete jungle. Despite the countless times she had seen this view, it never lost its charm. Each landing was a reminder of the many summers she had spent in India, a tradition that had been part of her life since she was three years old.

As the plane touched down, Dua's excitement was almost palpable. She could hardly wait to see her family and friends, to dive into the vibrant chaos of Mumbai, and to relive the special moments that marked her annual summer vacations. As the plane taxied to the gate, she pulled out her phone, eager to share her arrival with those who mattered most.

First, she texted Haya, her best friend and cousin. Haya had been her confidante and partner in crime since childhood. Their bond was forged through years of shared secrets, laughter, and occasional mischief. Haya was a constant presence in Dua's life, a steady anchor amidst the shifting tides of adolescence and adulthood. Their friendship was one of those rare, unbreakable connections that seemed to transcend time and distance.

Dua's message to Haya was enthusiastic, filled with the kind of excitement that only comes with arriving in a place you love. She couldn't wait to catch up, to immerse herself in the familiar rhythm of summer with her closest friend by her side.

Dua: "I'm finally here! Mumbai, I've missed you! Can't wait to see you all. Are you guys up for some serious catching up? 🍹"

Haya: "Yes! I'm so excited! We have so much to talk about. And I've got a surprise for you! Meet me at my place ASAP."

At the same time, Dua sent a message to her elder brother, Azan. Azan had moved to India a few years ago for his higher studies, and though he had settled into his new life with a mixture of arrogance and care, he remained fiercely protective of Dua. His presence in India was both a comfort and a challenge for her. Despite his tendency to be overbearing and occasionally irritating, he was always there when it mattered most.

Dua: "Hey Azan, landed safe and sound! Ready for our annual sibling rivalry? 😉 See you soon!"

Azan: "Ha! I've been practicing my winning arguments. Just kidding. Can't wait to see you. I've missed your annoying face and bad jokes."

Their close-knit group of friends included Ahad, another integral part of Dua's life. Ahad, Haya, Azan, and Dua had been inseparable since birth. Their friendship had weathered various storms and challenges, yet it always managed to remain strong. Ahad's gruff exterior belied a deep, steadfast loyalty, and his presence was a source of stability for Dua. Though often seen as distant and aloof, Ahad's genuine affection for Dua was a crucial part of their dynamic.

Dua: "Ahad! I'm in town. Don't make me come looking for you. 😏"

Ahad: "Oh, so you're actually back. I was getting used to the peace and quiet. Just kidding. See you soon, troublemaker."

As the plane doors opened and passengers began to disembark, Dua's anticipation grew. She and her mother, Zainab , navigated the bustling airport with practiced ease. Zainab was a pillar of strength and an exceptional mother. Her warm, nurturing presence was a source of comfort for Dua, and her unwavering support was something Dua deeply valued.