THE ROGUE HOLOGRAM

Captain Yager was walking down the ship's hallway when all of a sudden he saw an angry Zennar charging towards him.

"What the hell-" John exclaimed, his eyes wide in surprise.

The Zennar reached John and took a swing at him, but he ducked just in time. John wondered how in the world this Zennar got on board the ship, though he couldn't dwell on that at that moment as the Zennar kept attacking him. The Zennar took another swing at him and managed to scratch him across his shoulder with his claws.

"Damn it!" John yelled as he grabbed his wounded shoulder.

The Zennar reached for him again, but John was able to grab him and hold him at bay. This Zennar was as strong as the other ones he encountered. Zennars tended to be as strong as their enemies the Morlons, and they can be just as brutal. Using all the strength he could muster at the moment, he managed to push the Zennar back enough to where he was able to turn and run back towards the bridge. He knew without having to look behind that the Zennar was chasing him and no doubt closing fast given how fast Zennars were. John ran back onto the bridge, nearly out of breath.

"Captain?" exclaimed Commander Steiner. "Captain, what's wrong?"

John ignored his first officer as he pressed the button to open the weapons compartment on the wall and took out a laser pistol. He stepped back away from the door to the bridge and aimed the pistol right at the door. He set the weapon to maximum stun and waited for the Zennar to come through.

"Captain," Lisa said, getting up from her chair, "what's going on?"

But, again, John ignored Lisa. Just then, the bridge door opened and the Zennar ran onto the bridge while growling angrily. John wasted no time firing at the Zennar. However, the Zennar didn't go down right away, as even John had expected. The Zennar kept moving closer to John as he kept firing. Finally, after a few shots, the Zennar went down on the floor. While keeping the gun trained on him, John kicked at the Zennar a couple of times to make certain he was out cold. He was. John breathed a sigh of relief as he lowered his weapon. Just then, Bortis rushed onto the bridge while carrying a Morlon death spear. There was a small gash across his head that was still bleeding a little. He stopped where he was once he saw the Zennar lying stunned on the floor of the bridge. He glared over at the Captain as if he had deprived him of a great prize.

"Captain," he growled.

"Bortis," John said brusquely, "you know anything about this Zennar here?"

"Yes, Captain."

John waited for him to elaborate. When he didn't, he said, "And?"

"He is part of my Holoroom program."

"You mean to tell me he's a hologram?"

"Yes, Captain."

"Bortis, you care to tell me why the hell a hologram from your own program is lying on the floor of the bridge after attacking me?"

Bortis hesitated before he answered, "I do not know, Captain."

"Uh-huh," John replied like he didn't believe him.

"But, sir," interjected ship's android Roger, "it's not possible for a hologram to exist outside of the Holoroom."

"I'm well aware of that, Roger," John replied tersely as he kept his eyes on Bortis who was glaring back at him. He let out a frustrated sigh as he gazed back down at the unconscious Zennar. "Roger, I want you to take this . . . whatever the hell it is down to the brig and throw it in a holding cell and keep a watch on it in case it wakes up."

"Aye, Captain."

As Roger got up from his seat to carry out his orders, John glared back at Bortis and said, "Bortis, let's me and you go down to my office and talk some more about what just happened."