Chapter Three: Weird Slug

chapter thrre:
weird slug

PLEASE DONT BE A GHOST READER!!COMMENT AND VOTE

COMMENT AND VOTE

✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸

Scarlett and Max walked into school together, the buzz of students milling around creating a backdrop of noise. Scarlett's mind was still racing from the events of the previous night. She turned to Max, her voice low but insistent. "I think we need to find Lucas and talk to him about what happened yesterday. It was really weird, and something's off. Plus, Mike is onto me. He knows I have powers, Max. I tried to play it cool, but he's definitely onto me," Scarlett said, her eyes darting around nervously.

Max, who had been cruising along on her skateboard, came to an abrupt stop, her eyes wide with concern. "Wait, Mike knows?" she asked, disbelief lacing her voice.

Scarlett shrugged, trying to seem nonchalant, but there was an edge of anxiety in her posture. "Probably..." She trailed off, spotting Lucas across the courtyard as he locked up his bike at the bike rack. Without waiting for Max's response, she smacked her step-sister on the arm. "Let's talk to Lucas," Scarlett said urgently, already making her way toward him. Max groaned, slinging her skateboard under her arm as she hurried to catch up.

"Hey, Lucas!" Scarlett called out, injecting her voice with a forced brightness as they approached.

Lucas looked up from securing his bike, a smile spreading across his face when he saw them. "Hey, Scar and Max," he greeted them warmly, falling into step with the girls as they headed toward the school's entrance. He pulled open the door for them, and they slipped inside, the buzz of conversation around them dimming slightly as the heavy doors closed behind them.

Scarlett wasted no time in getting to the point. "We wanted to ask you about Will. I don't want to be insensitive and ask him directly, but I've heard some things," she said, her tone serious and her eyes searching Lucas's face for any signs of discomfort.

Max chimed in, nodding in agreement. "Yeah, I don't get why they call him Zombie Boy. I mean, I get it—he got lost in the woods for a week or something—but why is he a zombie? Because everyone thought he was dead?" she asked, genuinely curious.

Lucas sighed, his expression shifting to something more guarded as they walked down the hallway. "Yeah. I mean, we had a funeral for him and everything," he explained, his tone matter-of-fact, but there was a heaviness in his words that Scarlett couldn't ignore.

Scarlett's eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "After a week?" she asked, her voice tinged with skepticism.

Lucas glanced at her, his expression careful. "Well, see, some other kid drowned at the quarry. We thought it was Will because his body was super decomposed," he elaborated, his tone casual, but there was an underlying tension in the way he spoke.