Chapter Two: Boys Will Be Boys

chapter two:
boys will be boys

PLEASE DONT BE A GHOST READER!!COMMENT AND VOTE

COMMENT AND VOTE

✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸

Scarlett had been clueless about the welcome-home party for Dustin earlier that morning. All she knew was that after her grueling shift at the ice cream parlor, she needed to head straight to Weathertop, a hill nestled between Starcourt Mall, Brimborn Steel Works, and the Nelson farm, to meet Dustin. It had been weeks since she last saw him, and the thought of catching up with her best friend had kept her going all day. As soon as the clock struck her clock-out time, she bolted from work, barely taking a moment to change out of her uniform before grabbing her bike.

The ride was a blur of heat and motion. The summer sun bore down on her, making the pavement shimmer in the distance, but she barely noticed. Her legs pumped furiously, pushing the bike faster as she weaved through the streets of Hawkins, her mind racing with anticipation. She could only imagine what kind of adventures Dustin had experienced while he was away. But as she neared Weathertop, a gnawing feeling of unease settled in her stomach. Something felt off.

When Scarlett finally reached the base of the hill, she didn't even bother to properly park her bike. She simply leaped off, letting it clatter to the ground as she broke into a full sprint up the hill. The dry grass crunched under her sneakers, and her heart pounded in her chest, a mix of exertion and anxiety. As she reached the summit, she scanned the area, her eyes quickly landing on Dustin. He was standing there alone, his shoulders slumped, looking like the weight of the world was pressing down on him.
"Dustin!? Where is everyone?" she
called out, her voice laced with concern and confusion.
Dustin turned slowly to face her, and the sight of his sad, resigned expression made Scarlett's heart sink. He sighed deeply, forcing a small, apologetic smile onto his face. "I'm so sorry, Dustin. I couldn't get off work to pick you up with your mom. Stupid Janice wouldn't take my shift. She wanted to go to the pool... pretty sure it's so she could eyefuck my brother—"

Before she could even finish venting, Dustin moved toward her and wrapped her in a tight hug. The suddenness of the embrace took Scarlett by surprise, but she quickly melted into it, wrapping her arms around him and rubbing his back soothingly. She could feel the tension in his body, the sadness he was trying so hard to hide.

"You okay?" she asked softly, her concern deepening as she pulled back slightly to search his face for answers.
Dustin shrugged, a small, bitter smile tugging at his lips. "Everyone left. They wouldn't stay to talk to my friend —well, really, my girlfriend. But they don't know that. They think you're my girlfriend..." His voice trailed off, filled with disappointment and frustration.

Scarlett nodded, recalling the letters Dustin had sent her over the summer. "Right, Suzie? I remember you telling me about her in the letters."