32. Seeing him off

I stretched and looked out the window, watching the sun rise steadily as it always does. Today, I was up earlier than usual. A sudden urge to jog and get in shape coursed through me, so I got ready, feeling refreshed and eager to head out.

Around 5:08 a.m., I stepped out of my apartment. The cold morning breeze hit me, making me briefly reconsider this burst of energy. The bed I had left behind still called to me with its promise of warmth and comfort. I shook off the thought and hurried down to the main streets.

The village was quiet and still asleep. My footsteps echoed in the empty streets as I walked, warming up for my morning exercise. Five minutes passed, then ten, fifteen, and twenty.

My hair, tied back in a ponytail, swayed as I moved. Without realizing it, I had walked all the way to the main gate of Konohama, which was still closed at this early hour. It was too soon for them to open. I sighed, running my fingers over the wooden gates, feeling the smooth, solid texture beneath my touch.

Time has a way of bringing unexpected changes. Years ago, I was not allowed to pass through these gates. But now, I am warmly welcomed, cherished, and cared for. It feels almost like a dream that's too good to be true.

"Ah, what a sight to witness." I knew he was here.

"Good morning, Kakashi," I greeted him.

"Good morning, Y/n," he replied warmly, his eye smile instantly brightening the tired morning—wait. No, stop it, Y/n. "Are you an early bird?"

"Uh, kind of?" I replied as he walked closer.

"Oi! Open the gates, please!" he called out, knocking loudly. "Wish I could have slept in more," he added, turning back to me. I couldn’t help but stare, noticing how his mask perfectly outlined his features. The urge to trace them with my fingers—

"Shush," I blurted out.

"Shush...?" he echoed, confused. I didn’t feel like explaining and just stared back, feeling oddly comfortable in his presence. I shook my head, smiling to ease the awkwardness.

"Nothing."

"This morning is really beautiful," he remarked, his gaze lingering on me. I looked around, nodding in agreement.

"It's strangely soothing. I wonder why," I replied, getting lost in the gentle breeze, the rustling trees, and the chirping birds. "I really love this morning," I added with a contented sigh.

The gates creaked loudly as they swung open behind me. I turned to see the long path stretching out before us. "Will it take long?" I asked, looking back at him.

"The mission?" he asked, and I nodded.

He smiled. "I hope so," he replied, and his answer left me feeling disappointed.

"Why? Do you want to spend more time out there with Manaki—"

"Absolutely not," he cut me off, making me glare at him.

"Then what’s the reason?" His response was a long, silent look that pained me. "Why can't you come back sooner?" My frustration was evident in my voice.

"I just can't," he finally said, acknowledging the irritation behind my question.

"Why? Is it because it's an S-rank mission?" I asked, worried.

"No, it's a B-rank mission."

"Then what’s going to make it take longer? The distance?"

"Not that either," he said, his smile appearing, though it didn’t seem genuine.

"Then what is it?" I was getting frustrated with his evasiveness when I was trying to be serious. At a time when I wanted to spend more time with him and get to know him better, he seemed to be pulling away.

"I don't want to," he finally admitted, and my jaw dropped.

I clenched my fists. "Oh, great," I sighed. "Well... enjoy your mission with her, I guess," I said, turning to walk away.

He quickly grabbed my hand and turned me back to face him. "What is it?" I asked, ready to lash out if he said anything more. He remained silent, but I held my patience. Even without words, I could sense the message in his eyes. They were silent yet spoke volumes that I could understand.

"I'm..." He began, and I stayed composed, waiting for him to continue. "...sorry, but I don’t want to come home before the weekend ends... Y/n," he confessed slowly.

I didn't reply right away, trying to make sense of the sudden sadness in his voice. Why was he upset? Was it because of my frustration?

"Don’t..." He cut through my thoughts. "Overthink," he said, stopping my mental spiral.

"I... really needed you this weekend. It’s a big day for me," I explained, not fully grasping how much this wedding meant to him. "I wanted you by my side," I added, noticing his chuckle. I frowned. "What’s so funny?" I scoffed.

"When will you understand?" he asked with a smile. I tilted my head, confused by his expression.

"No! I don’t want to understand. I need you there, standing beside me."

"Why would I stand beside you? It’s Itachi who will," he replied.

"I meant as the bride’s friend. I don’t have a bridesmaid," I sighed, feeling the weight of not having made many friends.

"Oh..."

"Just 'oh'? Kakashi..." I whined as he chuckled again.

"Sakura, Ino, Tenten, Hinata... and Ikari too, they’d all be happy to be your bridesmaids," he reassured me.

"Kakashi..."

"Y/n, everything will be fine," he said softly, his hand gently caressing mine. It was then I realized he hadn’t let go of my hand. I tightened my grip in response.

"Please, at least try to come," I pleaded, despite knowing his initial refusal.

My request made him sigh. "I’ll try. I can’t promise anything, though," he said. "You should head back home. Yume-san might be looking for you." I nodded but didn’t move, and neither did he as he still held my hand. Neither of us wanted to let go.

After a few moments, we moved at the same time, finding ourselves in each other’s arms. I hugged him tightly, and he hugged me back just as firmly. So many emotions were exchanged in that embrace—it filled me with a sense of peace and calm I didn’t know a hug could bring. His hands gently patted my back, and his lips were close to my ear.

He softly brushed my ear with his lips and whispered, "Be happy with the choices you made..."