second person

In the depths of the night, I was jolted awake by a disturbing dream. I saw James, his face marked with pain and betrayal, and the vivid images of his murder at Henry's hands replayed in my mind. The fear and guilt that surged through me were overwhelming, making me question the choices I had made.

 The fear and guilt that surged through me were overwhelming, making me question the choices I had made

Tears streamed down my face as I woke up, my heart pounding with the weight of the nightmare. I couldn't shake the feeling that I had made a terrible mistake, giving myself away to someone who might be capable of such violence.

As I cried quietly, the sound of gentle footsteps approached. Miriam's comforting presence soon enveloped me. She sat beside me on the bed and began to rub my back soothingly. Her touch was tender and reassuring, a balm for my troubled soul.

"It's alright, dear," she whispered softly. "It was just a dream. You're safe here."

Her words, though calming, did little to dispel the lingering fear and uncertainty in my heart. But her presence was a comforting anchor amidst the storm of my emotions. As she continued to soothe me, I struggled to find solace, hoping that the reality of my new life could be different from the nightmares that haunted my sleep.

As I lay there, still trembling from the nightmare, I turned to Miriam, my voice quivering with the weight of my fear. "I dreamed about James," I said, my words coming out in broken sobs. "In the dream, Henry had killed him so I couldn't run away. I'm so afraid I've made a terrible mistake."

Miriam's arms wrapped around me in a comforting embrace, her touch warm and steady. "Shh, Thea, it's alright," she murmured, her voice gentle. "It was just a dream. You're safe here. Everything is alright."

But I couldn't shake the turmoil in my heart. "It's not alright," I insisted, my voice breaking. "My heart still belongs to James. I can't just forget him."

Miriam's expression tightened with concern. "Stop talking like that," she urged, her voice low and serious. "Henry can't hear you saying things like that. He'll raise hell if he thinks you're discontented. We don't need to add to the tension."

I looked at Miriam, my confusion deepening. "Why? Why does it matter so much if I say I still care about James?"

Miriam hesitated, her face showing a flicker of unease. "Henry has a temper," she said softly, her voice carrying a note of urgency. "It's best not to upset him. Let's just forget about it for now."

Before I could press further, Miriam shifted her focus, her tone brightening. "How about breakfast? Would you like something to eat?"

My stomach rumbled, and I realized how hungry I was. "Yes, please," I replied, though my mind was still partly caught up in the turmoil of the night.

I glanced around, noticing Henry's absence. "Where's Henry?" I asked, my voice tinged with curiosity.

Miriam's expression remained calm, though there was a hint of careful consideration in her response. "He had some business to attend to this morning," she said smoothly. "He'll be back later."