7 years of freedom...

I sprinted through the dense woods, my breath coming in ragged gasps. Dahlia was nestled against me, her small frame a comforting weight in my arms. Every snap of a twig underfoot sent my heart into a wild flutter, but I kept my pace steady, pushing through the fear and exhaustion. The train station loomed ahead, a beacon of hope amidst the darkness.

Arriving at the station, I ran up to the ticket counter, my pulse pounding in my ears. I clutched Dahlia tighter, her face buried in my shoulder. "I need two tickets, please," I said urgently, my voice trembling slightly.

The man behind the counter glanced up with an expression of indifference. "I'm afraid I can't serve you here," he said flatly. "The negro train tickets are to the left."

My heart sank, but I forced myself to nod. "Thank you," I said, my voice barely above a whisper, as I turned and hurried to the other counter. Each step felt like a mile, but I pushed on, driven by the need to get us away from this place.

I reached the counter and quickly purchased the tickets for the train. The clock was ticking, and I knew I had to move fast. I dashed toward the platform, where the train was just about to pull away. The engine's roar was deafening, and the sight of the train, ready to leave, made my legs move faster.

I finally managed to find an empty seat in a compartment. As the train started moving, I set Dahlia down gently beside me, trying to make her comfortable. She stirred and blinked sleepily, her eyes widening as she looked around.

"Mommy, where are we going?" Dahlia asked, her voice filled with curiosity and a hint of worry.

"We're going on a long vacation," I said, trying to keep my tone light and reassuring. I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, giving her a soft smile.

Dahlia looked around the compartment, her small brow furrowed. "Where's Daddy?" she asked, her little voice trembling slightly.

I swallowed hard, fighting back the tears. "Daddy... Daddy's not coming with us," I said gently. "We're going on this trip just the two of us."

Her eyes filled with confusion and sadness. "But I want Daddy to come too."

I took a deep breath, holding back the sob that threatened to escape. "I know, sweetheart," I said softly, my voice breaking. "But sometimes, people need to take different paths. We're starting a new adventure, just you and me."

Dahlia's gaze wandered out the window, her little hands clutching the edge of her seat. She was silent, processing the words. I watched her, my heart breaking at the sight of her innocent confusion. The train chugged along, carrying us away from everything we'd known. I wrapped my arm around her, pulling her close, trying to offer comfort and reassurance amidst the uncertainty of our journey.

As the train rumbled on, I leaned back in my seat, letting out a shaky laugh that was part relief, part hysteria. I imagined Henry's face when he discovered I was gone-his rage, his confusion. The thought of his reaction was almost soothing in a twisted way, a small comfort amidst the chaos. The idea of his fury and desperation gave me a strange sense of vindication. It felt like a small victory against the oppression and cruelty he had brought into our lives.

I glanced down at Dahlia, who was munching on peanuts with her usual enthusiasm. Her tiny hands were covered in crumbs, and her face was smeared with a bit of the snack. She looked up at me with wide eyes, her little brows knitted together in frustration.

"I want to go home, Mommy," she whined, her voice tinged with genuine confusion and sadness.

I sighed, my heart aching at her words. "We are going home, sweetheart," I said, trying to sound cheerful. "Just a different kind of home for now."