impossible reconciliation

A few weeks later

Tay

It's a big change, moving to the United States to become a professor at the University of Pennsylvania. The transition has been a challenge, but I'm proud of how I've adapted to this new life. Here, I took on the role of an Alpha, a leader among the students, guiding not only with my knowledge, but also with my discipline and rigor. My students, notably Vegas, Pete, and Deborah, have learned to respect me not only for my academic authority but also for my intransigence when it comes to their studies.

Since supervising them, I have adopted a strict but fair approach. I push them to reach their full potential, constantly reminding them of the importance of hard work and perseverance. Vegas has a sharp mind, but he needs to be constantly challenged so as not to get distracted. Pete, with his sensitivity, asks for a gentler approach, but that doesn't mean I let him get away with anything. Deborah, on the other hand, is determined, but sometimes too hard on herself, and I make sure she finds a balance between excellence and well-being.

This evening, after an intense day of revision and work sessions, I decided it was time to give them a break. We all need moments of relaxation to recharge our batteries and approach the next challenges with a clear mind. So I reserved a table in a restaurant near campus, a quiet place where we can chat, share a good meal, and above all, release a little pressure.

Sitting at the table, I observe the three of them. They are tired, but there is a glimmer of satisfaction in their eyes, a sign that they know their hard work is paying off. I speak, my voice firm but kind.

-You did well this week. I'm proud of your progress, but remember, rest is an integral part of success. Take this time to relax, but don't forget that tomorrow we return to work with the same rigor. 

They agree, each in their own way, recognizing the importance of my words. We order our meals, and the conversation becomes lighter, less focused on studies. I listen to them discuss more personal topics, happy to see that they are able to find a balance between their academic responsibilities and their social lives.

As the evening progresses, I feel satisfied. Being an Alpha to them doesn't just mean being demanding or bossy. It also involves knowing when to release the pressure, when to give them a moment of respite so that they can come back stronger. I realize that I am as much a guide as a mentor, and I take this role very seriously.

The meal ends, and I invite them to the next review session, reminding them one last time of the importance of staying focused on their goals. As I leave the restaurant, I see them exchanging smiles and bursts of laughter, and I know that despite my demands, they understand and appreciate what I am trying to bring them.

It's in these moments that I realize how much this new life in America, with all its challenges and responsibilities, is worth it.

As they enjoy the meal, the atmosphere is light and relaxed. Vegas, Pete, and Deborah exchange pleasantries, taking full advantage of this rare moment of respite that I have granted them. However, I notice a sudden change in Deborah's attitude. She stops talking, her eyes fixed on a specific point in the room.

-Tay...Look over there. 

I follow his gaze and see Fort, sitting at a table in the corner of the restaurant. He's with a girl, and although they seem engaged in quiet conversation, just seeing him here makes a wave of suspicion rise in me. Fort doesn't seem to have noticed us, but that doesn't change the fact that his presence here is highly suspicious.

My mind is racing. Why is it here, so close to the university and especially to us?

- Remember how I investigated him and Time and found out they were friends?