The Party

Atlant, GA

Atlant, GA

June 2nd

I glance at my phone for what feels like the hundredth time as I sit in the backseat of a rideshare with my best friends, Maya and Tiana. The screen displays the party invite from Trey, who I know mainly through KJ. The idea of going to his birthday party has my stomach in knots, but Maya and Tiana wouldn't let me say no.

"You good?" Tiana asks, giving me a side-eye as she adjusts her dress. She's dressed to kill tonight, like always, with a confidence that I envy.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lie, forcing a smile. "Just... you know, wondering how tonight's gonna go."

"Girl, it's just a party," Maya chimes in from the front seat. She's already scrolling through Instagram, barely paying attention. "You'll have fun. We all need to let loose anyway."

I nod, but my mind is elsewhere. Ever since that night with KJ, things have been different between us. We still talk, and still hang out, but there's this unspoken tension that I can't ignore. And now, seeing him at this party, I'm not sure how I'll feel.

The car pulls up outside Trey's apartment complex, and we step out, greeted by the sound of music thumping from inside. The air is warm, the kind of summer night that's perfect for a party. As we walk up to the entrance, I can't help but feel a mix of dreadfullnes.

The moment we step into the apartment, we're hit with the smell of weed and the sight of people crowded around in various states of intoxication. Trey's apartment is big, with a spacious living room that's packed with people dancing, drinking, and talking loudly over the music.

"There's the birthday boy," Maya says, spotting Trey across the room. He's surrounded by a group of people, clearly enjoying himself, a bottle of Hennessy in hand. He sees us and waves us over.

"Hey, y'all made it!" Trey greets us, pulling each of us into a quick hug. "Drinks are in the kitchen, and we're just getting started."

"Happy birthday, Trey," I say, giving him a quick smile. My eyes scan the room, searching for one person in particular, but I don't see him yet.

"You good, Aulani?" Trey asks, noticing my distracted look.

"Yeah, I'm cool," I reply, hoping he doesn't press further.

As the night goes on, we settle into the party. Maya and Tiana are quick to grab drinks and start mingling, while I stick to the edges of the room, nursing a drink and trying to relax. It isn't long before I spot KJ across the room, surrounded by a group of girls. He's laughing, leaning in close to one of them, his arm draped casually over her shoulder.

My heart sinks. I knew he was a flirt, but seeing it up close like this hits different. He looks completely at ease, like he's in his element, and I can't help but feel a pang of jealousy. It's a reminder of the fact that I'm not the only one in his life—far from it.