Ch 9.

Thoughts will be italic..

The sun was beginning its descent as Ishan walked home, his bag slung over one shoulder and his thoughts drifting back to the day's events. The usual banter with Shubman and the group had left him both amused and exasperated.

As he turned a corner, Ishan's attention was caught by a commotion up ahead. Shubman was holding someone by the collar, his face twisted in anger as he yelled at the boy. The scene was intense, a stark contrast to the playful Shubman Ishan had seen just a short while ago.

"Of course... there he is, back to his usual self," Ishan muttered to himself, shaking his head. The momentary kindness Shubman had shown at lunch seemed to have vanished completely. Ishan sighed, deciding it was best to avoid getting involved. He quickened his pace, walking past them without a second glance.

But as he continued down the street, he couldn't help but hear the sound of laughter and the unmistakable hum of bicycle tires speeding along the road. Ishan turned his head just in time to see Shubman, Abhi, and a new guy( Mayank ) of another school racing down the street on their bikes, their laughter echoing in the air.

"Jo harega wo ice cream khilayega!" Shubman announced loudly, his competitive spirit in full swing as he pushed his bike even faster.

As they zoomed past, Shubman caught sight of Ishan walking on the sidewalk. Their eyes met for a brief moment, and in that split second, Shubman gave Ishan a quick wink before speeding away, leaving a trail of laughter behind him.

Ishan rolled his eyes, his lips curling into a wry smile. "Jab giroge na, saare daant jhad jayenge..." he muttered under his breath, though there was no real malice in his tone. It was almost as if he had grown accustomed to Shubman's unpredictable behavior, a mix of annoyance and begrudging acceptance.

He watched as the three boys disappeared down the road, their voices fading into the distance. As Ishan continued his walk home, he found himself lost in thought, wondering why Shubman was the way he was.

maybe Shubman is an alien for sure... but still an alien beating a boy was not justified " ye bilkul sahi baat nahi hai.. aise kisi pe haath uthana na.. bilkul galat baat hai..

agar hum thode se aur strong hote na.. tab batate ye Shubman ko.. "

tum thode chhote bhi ho Ishan.. Or thode se darpok bhi.. his inner voice stated as matter of fact ishan be like gajab bezzati hai yrr..

" nahi nahi. hum koyi darpok nahi hai..

or wo baans ka ped hi zyada lamda hai hum to bilkul perfect hain.. " he smiled proudly. He was talking to himself when his eyes fell on a street cat judging him..

Ishan bowed in front from of it as asking for apology. and walked away quickly..

huh humans..

The school corridors buzzed with a different kind of energy the next day. The dreaded unit tests had finally arrived, casting a shadow over the usually carefree atmosphere. Some students walked in nervously clutching their notes, frantically reviewing the last few pages before the bell rang.

" bhaii kuchh nahi padha bhaii.. "

Others exuded confidence, knowing they had put in the hours to ace the exams

" tere bhaii ko sab sab aata hai.. "

. And then there were those who seemed almost too relaxed, accepting their fate with a resigned shrug-Shubman and his gang fell squarely into that last category.

" jo hoga dekha jayega.. " that was their group mantra. Accept Simran she was actually engrossed in her books not as much as Ishan but decent enough.

The first day of the tests set the tone for what would be a grueling week. Each subject brought its own set of challenges, and by the end of the day, most students were already feeling the pressure. The stress was palpable, especially for those who had let their studies slide. Shubman and his friends, who were more familiar with the playground than the classroom, were beginning to realize just how tough the week was going to be.