Ch 26.

Ishan reached home, still fuming, with a noticeable bruise forming on his jaw. 

As he entered the living room, Raj, who had come home early from college, immediately noticed the mark on his brother's face.

Raj's eyes narrowed with concern. "Ishan... ye kya hua? Kisne maara tujhe?"

Startled, Ishan quickly raised his hand to cover the bruise, trying to dismiss it. "Kuchh nahi bhaiya... hum gir gaye the."

But Raj wasn't convinced. He gently pulled Ishan's hand away, examining the bruise more closely. "Gir gaya tha? Kisne maara tujhe? Sach bata, Ishan."

Ishan tried to avoid his brother's intense gaze, fidgeting. "Nahi, sach mein bhaiya... hum gir gaye the, bas..."

Raj sighed, his voice stern yet filled with concern. "Dr. banne wale hai hum, hume jhooth bologe? Hum sab samajhte hain."

Ishan bit his lip, unsure how to respond. He could feel his brother's protective instincts kicking in, but he didn't want to drag Raj into the mess with the seniors or Shubman. 

"Bhaiya, please... main theek hoon. Bas thoda gir gaya tha," he muttered, trying to brush it off.

Raj, still unconvinced, let out a frustrated sigh. "Ishan, agar kisi ne tujhe maara hai, to mujhe bata. Main baat karunga. Samjhe?"

Ishan hesitated, then shook his head. "Kuchh nahi bhaiya, sach mein... it's nothing."

Raj didn't push further but his eyes lingered on Ishan for a moment longer, filled with concern. "Theek hai. Par agar kuchh aur hua ho, to tu mujhe batayega..? ok?."

Ishan nodded weakly, quickly excusing himself to his room, where he could finally let out his frustrations in peace. But the guilt of lying to Raj weighed heavy on his mind.

Shubman lay on his bed, staring at the ceiling, twisting and turning for what felt like the hundredth time. 

His mind kept drifting to Ishan, replaying the scene where Ishan had pushed him away, accusing him. It shouldn't bother him. Why would it? Ishan wasn't even his friend.

Yet, every time he closed his eyes, that frustrated look on Ishan's face flashed before him. Shubman gritted his teeth, turning over again, pulling the blanket over his head.

He shouldn't care.

"Chik chik baat nahi kar raha... toh kya? Mujhe kya faraq padta hai?" he muttered to himself. But the more he tried to convince himself, the more restless he felt.

Annoyed, he threw the blanket aside and sat up in bed, running his hands through his hair in frustration. 

"Abee yaar...!" he groaned, slumping back against his pillow.

For some reason, Ishan's silent treatment was eating at him. It wasn't like he and Ishan were close or anything. 

In fact, they barely talks normally  its more like they always argue. 

But something about the way Ishan turned his face away like a stubborn toddler, refusing to talk, was messing with Shubman's head.

Why was he even thinking about it? He didn't owe Ishan anything. And yet...

Shubman sat up abruptly, muttering under his breath, "Kal baat karunga usse... technically Abhi aur meri baat uski wajah se hi huii hai isliye... "

Even though he still wasn't sure why he cared, the thought of seeing Ishan upset left a gnawing feeling inside him that he couldn't shake.