Chapter 6 :The Sunday Surprise

It was a quiet Sunday afternoon when Maryam decided to visit her grandparents. The sun streamed through the windows, casting a warm glow over her Nana's room. She always found comfort here, surrounded by the relics of her grandfather's long life. He had stepped into the washroom, leaving Maryam alone to savor the peace.

Suddenly, the phone on the bedside table began to ring, displaying the name "Ahmed Merchant." The insistent ringing filled the room, and after a moment's hesitation, Maryam decided to answer.

"Assalamualaikum," Maryam greeted politely, her voice soft.

"Walaikumasalam," came the deep, calm voice of Ahmed Merchant on the other side.

Maryam continued, "Nana is in the washroom. I'll let him know you called as soon as he's back."

Ahmed paused for a second, then asked, "May I know who I'm speaking with?"

Maryam, not thinking much of the request, replied, "This is Maryam, Maryam Qureshi, his granddaughter."

There was a sudden silence on the other end, a stillness that made Maryam glance at the phone, wondering if the call had dropped. She tried again, "Hello? Can you hear me?"

Before Ahmed could respond, her grandfather, Mr. Khalid, emerged from the washroom. Maryam handed him the phone with a smile. "It's Ahmed Merchant, Nana," she said, returning to her spot beside him.

The phone was still on speaker, and Maryam settled back, planning to tune out the conversation. But the words that followed caught her completely off guard.

After a few moments of cordial greetings, Ahmed Merchant shifted to the real reason for his call. "Khalid Uncle ," Ahmed began, his tone more serious, "I'm calling with a proposal... for my son, Yahya. We would be honored if you would consider Maryam for him."

The room seemed to freeze as those words hung in the air. Maryam's heart pounded in her chest, unable to process what she had just heard. Her eyes darted to her grandfather, who met her gaze with a mixture of surprise and contemplation.

Mr. Khalid cleared his throat, collecting his thoughts before speaking. "Ahmed , this is... unexpected. Of course, Maryam is dear to us, and you are like family, but this is a serious matter. It requires time, prayer, and discussion with her parents."

"I understand completely," Ahmed replied, his voice sincere. "There's no rush. Yahya himself requested that we take this step only after careful consideration and after everyone involved has made istikhara."

Maryam's mind was racing. Yahya Merchant? The same Yahya she had met in the café? The same Yahya who had messaged her brother? The world suddenly felt very small, and the idea of this young billionaire, someone she barely knew, now being discussed as a potential suitor, was overwhelming.

Her grandfather nodded, "We will discuss this as a family, and I'll get back to you, Ahmed Beta. I appreciate your thoughtful approach."

"Thank you, Khalid Uncle ," Ahmed replied warmly. "We await your decision, and in the meantime, we will also continue to seek guidance through prayer."

As the call ended, Maryam sat frozen, her mind spinning. This visit to her grandparents had taken a turn she never could have anticipated. She had been prepared for a quiet afternoon of reminiscing, not the beginning of what could be a life-altering decision.

Her grandfather looked at her thoughtfully, sensing her unease. "Maryam, beta, don't worry. We will talk to your parents, and most importantly, we will pray. Whatever is best for you, Allah will guide us to it."

But as Maryam nodded, trying to find comfort in his words, she couldn't help but wonder: was this a sign of something meant to be? Or just a coincidence in a world where paths cross in unexpected ways?